WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: What program do you use to burn a Tiny Core ISO in a CD-R?  (Read 5394 times)

Offline jazzbiker

Re: What program do you use to burn a Tiny Core ISO in a CD-R?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2024, 08:44:25 AM »
Hi Mauricio!
I've took the look on the InstantCore partition table and it is 63 sectors/track (the same) but 255 heads and 76 cylinders. The parameters may be corrected with the help of fdisk utility. Proposed values are 63 sectors, 15 heads and 1292 cylinders. I mean attaching Your 4.3G HDD to the Debian box and repartitioning it without changing the content.
Are You looking for the next Linux challenge? ;-)

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2024, 11:05:35 AM »
Hi Mauricio!
I've took the look on the InstantCore partition table and it is 63 sectors/track (the same) but 255 heads and 76 cylinders. The parameters may be corrected with the help of fdisk utility. Proposed values are 63 sectors, 15 heads and 1292 cylinders. I mean attaching Your 4.3G HDD to the Debian box and repartitioning it without changing the content.

For sure I'm ready!

Just a little question, and just for the learning's sake: Why did you choose that amount of cylinders? The datasheet I linked says 8930 and the HDD label says 01 04.
One weird thing I noticed is that the label of the HDD says it has 16 heads, but the datasheet I liked says 15. We should stick to the label values or the datasheet ones?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 11:09:15 AM by Mauricio »

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2024, 11:19:26 AM »
Hi Mauricio
That might be it then! The original HDD is 4gb and the one I tried is 41gb or something like that, quite a difference! ...
The BIOS on very old hardware had limitations on how
large a drive they supported. If that's causing a problem,
you can lie to the BIOS by setting it to a smaller size. When
the kernel boots, it doesn't look at the BIOS. It figures out
what disks are present and their size for itself:
Hi KingBongo
The difference is  /mnt/hda1/tce/optional is on your hard drive and  /tmp/tce/optional is in RAM.
As far as the BIOS is concerned try telling it the 30Gb drive is 500Mb, the kernel will figure out
the correct size on it's own. I'm running a machine from 1997 with a 320Gb drive. The machine
didn't like it so I either lied to the bios or disabled it, and let the kernel figure it out since it is
used for file serving.
[Corrected my copy of tinypoodle's typo]

For more on the specs of that machine:
https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,7942.msg45971.html#msg45971

Very cool info Rich! This can be very useful at the moment the original HDD dies, I will need to plug in another one and I'm sure I won't find one of that era.

However, that looks like too advanced for a noob like me  :P still, I love hardware, it would be a nice learning trip. I will try to install TC to the original HDD first.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2024, 11:39:24 AM »
Hi Mauricio!

For sure I'm ready!

Just a little question, and just for the learning's sake: Why did you choose that amount of cylinders? The datasheet I linked says 8930 and the HDD label says 01 04.
One weird thing I noticed is that the label of the HDD says it has 16 heads, but the datasheet I liked says 15. We should stick to the label values or the datasheet ones?

Here is citation of the sentence prepending the table:
All DiamondMax 2160 drives feature a universal translate mode. In an AT/EISA-class system, the drive may be configured to any specified combination of cylinders, heads and sectors (within the range of the drive's formatted capacity)

I understand it in the way that both 15 or 16 heads may be chosen, while sectors/track must be 63. The 16 heads is proposed for the highest in the line and You can notice that cylinders number is very close to 2^14=16384. For 15 heads the biggest drive will demand 16278*16/15=17363 cylinders which overflows 14 bits. I think the table shows 15 heads as preferred value.

I trained at InstantCore.img in qemu emulator, that's why I demonstrated the relation between cylinder number before and after CHS parameters correction using InstantCore.img as an example, while it has the size 600M. When You will work with Your native HDD You will see another numbers, but the total capacity must be satisfied. I think that the main goal is to correct heads' number from 255 to 15 and adjust cylinders' number correspondingly, preferably to 8930 as the table proposes.

01 04 cylinders' number exceeds my level of understanding :-(

When You are planning to perform the correction?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 11:45:00 AM by jazzbiker »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2024, 11:48:38 AM »
Of course I can adjust heads by myself and share an adjusted image, but maybe You will like to do it by Yourself?
As an option You may load InstantCore into qemu, adjust CHS values and rewrite the corrected image to the HDD. Not bad option I guess.

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2024, 11:59:18 AM »
Hi Mauricio!

For sure I'm ready!

Here is citation of the sentence prepending the table:
All DiamondMax 2160 drives feature a universal translate mode. In an AT/EISA-class system, the drive may be configured to any specified combination of cylinders, heads and sectors (within the range of the drive's formatted capacity)

I understand it in the way that both 15 or 16 heads may be chosen, while sectors/track must be 63. The 16 heads is proposed for the highest in the line and You can notice that cylinders number is very close to 2^14=16384. For 15 heads the biggest drive will demand 16278*16/15=17363 cylinders which overflows 14 bits. I think the table shows 15 heads as preferred value.

I trained at InstantCore.img in qemu emulator, that's why I demonstrated the relation between cylinder number before and after CHS parameters correction using InstantCore.img as an example, while it has the size 600M. When You will work with Your native HDD You will see another numbers, but the total capacity must be satisfied. I think that the main goal is to correct heads' number from 255 to 15 and adjust cylinders' number correspondingly, preferably to 8930 as the table proposes.

01 04 cylinders' number exceeds my level of understanding :-(

When You are planning to perform the correction?

I have all the time today, so whenever you want or can!

I already plugged the HDD to my PC.

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2024, 12:03:42 PM »
Of course I can adjust heads by myself and share an adjusted image, but maybe You will like to do it by Yourself?
As an option You may load InstantCore into qemu, adjust CHS values and rewrite the corrected image to the HDD. Not bad option I guess.

Whatever option that works for you. I want to cause you the less trouble possible, and I don't have a problem trying to do it myself!

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2024, 12:07:22 PM »
I think adjusting in the emulator is safer, I'd recommend it, if You have qemu installed. Envocation may vary depending on the distribution. Would You be able to run InstantCore.img as -hda in qemu? I can give an examples if You need.
Of course You'd better work with the copy.

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2024, 12:09:26 PM »
I think adjusting in the emulator is safer, I'd recommend it, if You have qemu installed. Envocation may vary depending on the distribution. Would You be able to run InstantCore.img as -hda in qemu? I can give an examples if You need.

I have bad news  :P I never used qemu, and I don't have it installed. I could install it and follow your commands if you think is the best option.

I think the fdisk option would be easyer? Instead of learning qemu.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 12:12:27 PM by Mauricio »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2024, 12:13:34 PM »
Ok, qemu is great, but we need to know how the package is named in Your distro to install. How do You usually install the packages?

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2024, 12:16:12 PM »
Oh, missed Your edit. Ok, lets continue with fdisk. So what is the name of Your HDD as it is already connected?

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2024, 12:18:36 PM »
Ok, qemu is great, but we need to know how the package is named in Your distro to install. How do You usually install the packages?

Hahaha sorry. I install them via apt.

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2024, 12:19:51 PM »
Oh, missed Your edit. Ok, lets continue with fdisk. So what is the name of Your HDD as it is already connected?

It is /dev/sdb

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2024, 12:21:17 PM »
Nice, then obviously You need to
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
Can You please post the output of 'p' command?

Offline Mauricio

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2024, 12:25:17 PM »
Nice, then obviously You need to
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
Can You please post the output of 'p' command?

Damn, I forgot to mention, I'm doing this on another PC, so I can't copy the exact output. However I can move that PC to a location with ethernet and then we continue? It would be easyer right? I'm sorry lol

Or I could give you the exact info you need, whatever is easyer. I don't have a problem on moving that PC.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 12:27:10 PM by Mauricio »