WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ndiswrapper without perl5  (Read 1607 times)

Offline hpstr

ndiswrapper without perl5
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:25:15 AM »
I have a (tiny  ;)) WLAN adapter that does not work yet with the standard kernel, as it`s open source driver is in staging.

With ndiswrapper basically it runs okay. The info file for ndiswrapper mentions a way to get it running without perl5, which ndiswrapper happens to depend on.

What would be the recommended way to do this? I think I have to alter ndiswrapper`s dep file? Cancel then uninstall the perl5 dependency and adding ndiswrapper as dependency to a new extension, containing /etc/ndiswrapper/somechipsetdriver/ and a startup script?

Will the ndiswrapper dep file be screwed up (overwritten by a new one) when an extension update occurs?

Is it considered a clean way (from the Tiny Core point of view) to store ndiswrapper driver directories somewhere in /opt/ (referred to by symlink from /etc/) instead of /etc/ndiswrapper/ ? This would keep the driver files themselves out of RAM when using a persistent /opt/ - at least I suppose.

Regards,

Hans
Computers help us solving problems which wouldn`t exist without computers.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: ndiswrapper without perl5
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:33:48 AM »
if you want to use a special version (e.g. without perl5 as dep) then just copy over the ndiswrapper.tcz* files to myndiswrapper.tcz* files, change them and load myndiswrapper.tcz from onboot.lst. of course you can also create a new extension, which has myndiswrapper as dep and already contains windows drivers, but I'd do it the other way around, myndiswrapper.tcz.dep containing myndisdrivers.tcz.

since ndiswrapper isn't a "clean" way at all, personally I wouldn't bother about where to store the files... just put them where you like, IIRC there's no appropriate place for windows drivers on a linux system ;)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline hpstr

Re: ndiswrapper without perl5
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:10:21 AM »
I usually fail when trying to find simple solutions. There`s always a simpler one... Thank you!

I hope the native drivers will be out of staging when TC gets a new kernel, as I found ndiswrapper to be quite resource hungry, both CPU and RAM.
And, of course, having a native driver instead of Windoze binaries would be prefered.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:12:39 AM by hpstr »
Computers help us solving problems which wouldn`t exist without computers.