Author Topic: Grub Menu Problem  (Read 3037 times)

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

Grub Menu Problem
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:24:53 PM »
I installed "Microcore" and everything is great except one thing - GRUB! I'm sure it's a simply problem for you experienced users but I'm new to Linux. Okay, my "HUGE" problem is that when I boot my computer "I don't get a grub menu but instead I get a Grub prompt to type kernel /boot/bzImage quiet and then initrd /boot/microcore.gz and then boot. I followed the basic guide from http://www.tinycorelinux.com/install.html but I can't understand why I need to type all of the commands in - why am I not getting a grub menu and how can I fix this so I do get a menu-so I can simply click what system I want to choose

Microcore is the only OS I have on this computer

Thanks for any help in advance guys
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:41:57 PM by cURIOUSgEORGE »

Offline maro

Re: Grub Menu Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »
You'll need a GRUB configuration file if you want to avoid having to type those commands at the GRUB prompt.

Assuming that you've used (legacy) GRUB (i.e. from the 'grub-0.97-splash.tcz' extension) that config file should be '/boot/grub/menu.lst' on your file system. Have another look at this section of the instructions, and keep in mind to replace 'microcore.gz' for 'tinycore.gz' in your case.

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »
Hmmmmm I guess I didn't save the configuration file. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I followed the guide completely "replacing tinycore with microcore" though, but I don't think it's saving when I press :x and then enter. Arrgh what am I doing wrong ???

So if I follow that part of grub in the guide but replace tinycore with microcore "Like I have been" then it should boot into a grub menu screen "on boot up"?

If that's the case then I'll be good to go once I can figure out how to save my configuration.

Any other way to save it from the terminal without pressing :x ???

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »
I always use 'ZZ' (that is twice capital 'Z') after the 'ESC' to save the file in 'vi' and exit (but ':wq' is another way I'm aware of).

To be sure just do a cat /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst afterwards to see what has been stored (obviously replacing 'hda1' with your device name).

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »
YES!!! "You the man!" That was driving me nutts ;D ZZ for now on......IDK why :x won't work for me but hey I got "ZZ" haha Thanks man.

Offline 0000_0110

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
I had the same problem, just trying to follow directions.
Then I found a "vi" guide online.
Apparently vi is a text file editor.
The basic directions given for installing GRUB legacy are good EXCEPT:

It says to save and exit with ENTER: x
Clearly that's not right.
You must use ZZ to save and exit.

I'll try to find where to send an error report.
-----------------------------------------------------------
0000_0110, but you can call me Six.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
It is clearly right.
You exit and save with ':x' not 'something: x'.

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »
With recent versions, you can open the terminal and type: "editor" for an easy to use editor.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.