WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: freerdp, kmaps package issues?  (Read 6608 times)

Offline jonathanbrickman0000

• PC TSC:  Easily turn a PC into a terminal server client
freerdp, kmaps package issues?
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »
I'm certain I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what:  
  • I have tce=, opt=, and home= persistence set up in 'grub', TCL installed to hard drive.  
  • I install kmaps (tce-load -wi kmaps), the files vanish at next reboot unless I add "usr/share" to /opt/filetool.lst and run "filetool.sh -b" beforehand.  
  • I install freerdp, and some of the files stick around, but xfreerdp won't run at next reboot because Xcursor.* libraries are missing from /usr/lib, and adding "usr/lib" to filetool.lst and doing "filetool.sh -b" doesn't help (I know that's overkill, but I had to try something).  
Anyone know what is going on ?????  And how do I fix it by command line or shell script? :-)

J.E.B.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: freerdp, kmaps package issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »
Not having any knowledge about your particular setup but...

Are you very sure about those paths?
e.g. are they really usr/share resp. usr/lib and not usr/local/share resp. usr/local/lib?

Also, are you sure you backup the files you intend to, and not just symlinks to the files?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »
Thinking about your questions, I did the following:

1.  tce-load -wi kmaps freerdp
2.  Added to /opt/.filetool.lst:

usr/share
usr/lib
usr/local/lib

3.  filetool.sh -b

This appears to have worked, xfreerdp now runs after reboot.  All three lines added to /opt/.filetool.lst appear to be necessary.  Concerning the symlinks, I checked the lib directories, and the symlinks all remain as they should.

I guess my big question is, is the filetool method really necessary?  Is there something simpler I could be doing which is an accepted TC-standard?

J.E.B.

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »
All this backup stuff sounds a bit "desperate". I'd suggest you keep a copy of 'mydata.tgz', remove the surplus entries from the "white-list" and re-do the backup.

Troubleshoot it step by step and make no assumption until a certain fact can be proven:
(1) Is the extension (i.e 'kmaps.tcz') in the '.../tce/optional' directory and does the MD5 checksum match?
(2) Is the extension listed in '.../tce/onboot.lst'?
(3) Boot with (temporary) boot codes 'showapps pause' and check that 'kmaps' is listed amongst the installed extensions.
(4) After booting look for '/tmp/tcloop/kmaps' and '/usr/local/tce.installed/kmaps'

My hunch is that at one of those steps an unexpected result will occur.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
All this backup stuff sounds a bit "desperate". I'd suggest you keep a copy of 'mydata.tgz', remove the surplus entries from the "white-list" and re-do the backup.

Desperate is right :-)  I do not yet know how to remove anything from the white-list (didn't know there was one?), but I tried your steps below just after tce-load -wi kmaps, and may have spotted an issue:

Troubleshoot it step by step and make no assumption until a certain fact can be proven:
(1) Is the extension (i.e 'kmaps.tcz') in the '.../tce/optional' directory and does the MD5 checksum match?
The hard drive is sda1, and kmaps.tcz is located in /mnt/sda1/tce/optional.  There is an md5 file there, but how do I check it for a match?
(2) Is the extension listed in '.../tce/onboot.lst'?
There is no file named /mnt/sda1/tce/onboot.lst.  Do I need to create one?  Perhaps this is it???  If so, what exactly does this file do, and when?  I was not able to find a wiki entry on it, but it looks like it is often set up by AppsAudit?

J.E.B.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »
(4) After booting look for '/tmp/tcloop/kmaps'

A foolproof way to do so may be
Code: [Select]
ls -R /tmp/tcloop/kmaps
as it can be observed under certain conditions that the mount dir would exist without any extension being mounted on it.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
After reboot, /tmp/tcloop was empty.

J.E.B.

Offline maro

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:46 PM »
(a) What I started to call the "white-list" is '/opt/.filetool.lst'
(b) To check a MD5 checksum use md5sum -c EXT.tcz.md5.txt
(c) AppsAudit manages the '.../tce/onboot.lst', not having such a file mean that NO extension will be loaded at boot time

Question: What is in your '/opt/.tce_dir'?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
After reboot, /tmp/tcloop was empty.

J.E.B.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned 'foolproof' I meant with regard to what I mentioned, not with the to path to tce_dir  ;)

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 12:16:07 AM »
Gotcha, tinypoodle.  I think I'm seeing a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel :-)  Currently:

1.  I have left /opt/.filetool.lst default.
2.  The MD5 for kmaps.tcz does check out.
3.  /opt/.tce_dir contains "/mnt/sda1/tce", which I think is exactly right.

I made just one change:  I used AppsAudit to add "kmaps.tcz" to the onboot list.  it added the single line "kmaps.tcz" to /mnt/sda1/tce/onboot.lst.  I then rebooted...and the problem is repeated, /usr/share/kmap (which is the folder kmaps.tcz populates) is not populated except for the original us.kmap.

Offline maro

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 04:19:16 AM »
OK, so you've reported the results of checks (1) and (2) from reply #3. How about (3) and (4)?

And as an additional question: What happens when you just execute tce-load -i kmaps ?

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 08:31:56 AM »
I am understanding a bit more of what you're asking now, I think.  I'm redoing from the start of your four-step process:

1.  Booted to TC installed to hard drive.
2.  tce-load -wi kmaps
3.  kmaps.tcz is in onboot.lst, and it is in .../tce/optional, and the md5 does match.
4.  Rebooted adding 'showapps pause' to the end of the grub line.
5.  It rebooted, paused appropriately, but showed no extensions at all when it paused.

What is the best URL for a 'wget' for kmaps.tcz ?

J.E.B.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »
Also, by the way, my 'grub' kernel line is:

Code: [Select]
kernel /boot/bzImage quiet max_loop=255 waitusb=5 tce=sda1 opt=sda1 home=sda1 local=sda1
J.E.B.

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
Why limit to 255? Not needed in 3.x.

Why are you mixing Hybrid (local=) and Mount (tce=) modes?

If no extensions are loading then either your tce= is incorrect or you need to increase your waitusb amount.

I would not even use a tce= unless used with LABEL or UUID. But mostly it is not needed the system will find it on supported filesystems given enough time for it to be recognized.

Finally, what filesystem is on sda1?  Are you trying to use a non-base supported filesystem, i.e., one that requires an extension for its support?
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »
Besides from all the points roberts already commented on, if you are troubleshooting, why would you use 'quiet' as a kernel parameter?