General TC > Remasters / Remixes - Unofficial

InstantCore

<< < (5/8) > >>

jazzbiker:
Hi core-user!

--- Quote from: core-user on December 27, 2023, 02:53:19 AM ---Optical media is pretty much dead as far as installable live media is concerned  - pendrives have been king since USB2 arrived. ;)

--- End quote ---

I don't want optical media to be dead, sometimes they are well suited and in place due to their read-only nature.

In my understanding the game changer for USB drives was mostly appearance of "Boot from USB" option in BIOSes.

jazzbiker:

--- Quote from: core-user on December 27, 2023, 02:53:19 AM ---(If frightened of using 'dd', you can also use 'cat' or 'cp' to put nearly every image onto a pendrive.)

--- End quote ---

High-end, low-end, back-end, front-end, ..... frightened :-0

jazzbiker:
Tested installation of InstantCore to the local drive.

Box: EEE PC 901
Two local SSDs: 4G and 8G.

InstantCore written to 8G USB flash drive. Not inflated.
Boot from it into "base+resize"

Local drives are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. Flash is /dev/sdc/

Install:

--- Code: ---sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=600

--- End code ---

That's all, folks!

Leee:

--- Quote from: jazzbiker on December 26, 2023, 08:17:35 AM ---Probably directory per version:

--- Code: ---/boot
/lost+found
/tc10/home
/tc10/opt
/tc10/tce
/tc11/home
/tc11/opt
/tc11/tce

--- End code ---
?

--- End quote ---
I use a directory per version but place them under /boot and some other directories off of the root directory of the device for mostly-static data (so in the example below everything implicitly starts with /mnt/sda1 or similar)

--- Code: ---/boot
    core14.0
        tce
        tce64
    core13.1
        tce
        tce64...
/lost+found
/music
/photos
/ebooks
/videos

--- End code ---
I also have /opt/bootsync.sh set up to symlink the current tce directory as /tce and a few other similar (symilar?) symlinks for convenience.

CNK:

--- Quote from: jazzbiker on December 26, 2023, 09:14:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: CNK on December 26, 2023, 01:37:30 PM ---Well I still write them to CDs. You could include all the functionality of your disk image in a dd-able ISO anyway, catering for the likes of me as well. Dual BIOS/UEFI booting is possible with dd-written ISOs, though it took me quite a while to figure out how to set that up right.

--- End quote ---

CDs are rather expensive toys nowadays :-) What is CD/USBflash exchange rate in Your country?

--- End quote ---

When I bought a bulk pack years ago, about $0.15 per disc. Since then I've picked up packs at second-hand stores and garage sales for $0 - $2 (yes, some are giving them away). Unfortunately most distros don't fit on a CD anymore, and DVDs are painfully slow. Then again one DVD's worth of data is all my monthly internet data allowance, so I rarely go to the trouble of downloading those at a free Wi-Fi location anyway.

USB drives are about a minimum of $6 if you wait all year for the best specials. On a regular day $10 - $15 at the cheaper stores. If one wants to keep a few distros/rescue-discs, CDs still look way cheaper than eg. 10x USB drives. But I do also keep all the ISOs on a USB HDD to avoid needing to waste internet data re-downloading them if a disc gets wrecked, so with one of these multi-boot systems I could probably use that for booting computers itself. I can't be bothered with that though.

The USB HDD cost me around $80 in around 2013, so I could have bought 533 CD-Rs instead. CDs probably are more expensive now, but not that much.

--- Quote from: jazzbiker on December 26, 2023, 09:14:16 PM ---In fact almost every ISO found itself written to some kind of flash drive.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps. My point is that you can either cater for the possibly exceptional people like me or not. It's harder to make ISOs, but you don't have to sacrifice features for USB-drive users in order to do so. Like publishing a custom distro image for others in the first place, it just depends on whether you want to make the effort (I think a total of one other person used the TC-based ISO that I made, after I did a full day's compatibility testing with CDs and USBs :( ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version