General TC > Remasters / Remixes - Unofficial

InstantCore

<< < (6/8) > >>

jazzbiker:
Hi CNK!

Of course talking about media we should take into consideration the capacity. So the price per GB matters. I think it is correct approach, if we use these toys to store some data :-)

In our country now best quality CDs cost around $0.30, the cheap  ones $0.15. For $5 You can by 32GB flash drive. So for flash memory we got 5/32=0.15625 $/GB. For CDs we got 0.15/0.7=0.2143 in the cheapest case. Interesting that DVDs price is almost equal to CDs. Are they really so slow that someone may choose CD over DVD?
External HDD cost less than 50$ for 1TB and we got 50/1000=0.05 $/GB. Conclusions are obvious. Encountering that HDD is hundred times handier and smaller :-)

CNK:

--- Quote from: jazzbiker on December 27, 2023, 02:06:20 PM ---Of course talking about media we should take into consideration the capacity. So the price per GB matters.

--- End quote ---

Not for me, because as I said I don't want to mess around with multi-boot things like Ventoy, so for 10x CD ISOs the choice is either 10x CDs or 10x USB drives for me. I like the simplicity of picking out a CD and have it boot straight up, compared to messing about with extra boot steps. I'm not trying to convert you to CDs, but just pointing out why I personally wouldn't use a disk image release instead of an ISO.

--- Quote from: jazzbiker on December 27, 2023, 02:06:20 PM ---Interesting that DVDs price is almost equal to CDs. Are they really so slow that someone may choose CD over DVD?

--- End quote ---

I do. Booting a big Linux distro from DVD takes ages compared with CD, and burning takes even more ages.

jazzbiker:
Hi CNK!

--- Quote from: CNK on December 27, 2023, 10:40:00 PM ---I'm not trying to convert you to CDs, but just pointing out why I personally wouldn't use a disk image release instead of an ISO.

--- End quote ---

InstantCore is proposed for new users, not for an experienced ones. One-touch all-in-one full-functional dual-boot BIOS/UEFI USB flash drive and then if necessary one-touch install to the local drive.

CNK:

--- Quote from: jazzbiker on December 28, 2023, 01:03:57 PM ---InstantCore is proposed for new users, not for an experienced ones.

--- End quote ---

All that I said applied to me the first time I tried Tiny Core. I also mentioned that Puppy Linux adopting disk images instead of ISOs would dissuade me from trying that again.

But my point is only that ISOs still serve a purpose for some potential new users who are like me, which is what you originally asked about. Whether you accomodate those people or not is up to you.

jazzbiker:

--- Quote from: CNK on December 28, 2023, 01:33:20 PM ---But my point is only that ISOs still serve a purpose for some potential new users who are like me, which is what you originally asked about. Whether you accomodate those people or not is up to you.

--- End quote ---

How am I to accommodate? Offical ISOs can be downloaded form http://tinycorelinux.net/downloads.html, aren't they?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version