WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Leafpad not getting added to wbar  (Read 8818 times)

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
Leafpad not getting added to wbar
« on: December 10, 2008, 04:35:36 AM »
Leafpad is not getting added to wbar. I added it manually once to check whether icon and text file exists in /usr/local/tce.icons. It is there.

kagashe

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Leafpad not getting added to wbar
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:47:01 AM »
Thanks for finding that.  Leafpad was upgraded and I forgot to upgrade the icon entry.  I will fix it.

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:49:04 AM »
Thanks for finding that.  Leafpad was upgraded and I forgot to upgrade the icon entry.  I will fix it.
But there is a file leafpad-0.8.14 with following text in /usr/local/tce.icons
i: /usr/local/tce.icons/leafpad-0.8.14.png
t: leafpad
c: /usr/local/bin/leafpad
and leafpad-0.8.14.png also exists in the folder.

What else is needed?

kagashe

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:30:35 AM »
Leafpad is at version 0.8.15, and 0.8.14 was still in the tce.icons directory.  If the entry in tce.icons or tce.menu is different than the extension name it will not be acknowledged by tce-load.  I updated the entries to 0.8.15 and it works now.
Thanks

JW

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 06:00:14 AM »
How to install leafpad?
I have menu leafpad in Apps, but it doesn't work! Does leafpad request any lib?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:03 AM »
leapad will need the gtk2 libs - if you start it from a terminal window, you will be able to see any error messages.

If you use a browser to look at the .info file, you can change .info to .dep to see the dependencies

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »
If you use a browser to look at the .info file, you can change .info to .dep to see the dependencies
where is .dep? How can i change it?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 06:32:07 AM »
it may have been someone else. but i think you upgraded leafpad to x.15 (instead of x.14) before, plus some locales packages?

neither of us (or, whoever uploaded the newer package) could figure out what the point of that upgrade was, obviously you've figured out what it was since then, so don't take my curiosity the wrong way, i just wondered why the upgrade? the difference in size (if any) is probably too nominal to think about, i find leafpad one of the more interesting / important additions in any distro.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »
As for functional differences in between leafpad versions 0.8.14, 0.8.15, and 0.8.16 you got me on that one.  Even the "Limited Edition" had no feature difference I could think of, but was over twice as big so I reverted to standard.   The locales are in a different package instead of being discarded in case one wants to make use of them but they are not taking up room in the main extension.

I tend to stay with the latest stable version of packages unless there is a reason not to.  That mentality rubbed off on me a little during my time using source distros.  It really does not make a difference with something like leafpad.  Some apps benefit from staying current - web browsers, Clamav, and such.  Others need to stay with one version such as openssl, given the trouble it would be to rebuild every app that depends on it which is what would have to happen with an openssl upgrade.  Each extension maintainer is going to have their own philosophy about when to upgrade packages, and for the most part it is just a matter of personal taste.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
thanks.

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »
Leafpad is not getting added to wbar. I added it manually once to check whether icon and text file exists in /usr/local/tce.icons. It is there.

kagashe

i haven't leafpad icon... How can I add it manually?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »
I will add an icon back to leafpad, I had taken it out at one point but it could use an icon.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
as a general (but not an official) rule, i think it's good to have an icon for any graphical, document-based apps. this means online documents (graphical web browsers,) mulitmedia (graphical media players, not including ones that only run from the command line, like mplayer nodeps,) text documents (ooo, leafpad, and xpdf,) and graphics documents (gimp.)

command line apps, apps for custom settings, burning cd's, unless it's something really designed to make a task "easy for anyone," they don't need icons. there's the argument that no one needs them, i think the first class of apps needs them more. obviously no one's going to "make" anyone create an icon for anything, if it's that important a separate extension for an icon (for another extension) can be added optionally.