Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

Gnome-MPlayer Extension - Request for Advice

<< < (2/7) > >>

Juanito:

--- Quote ---Failed to open connection to session message bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-JsJT1tCvnF: Connection refused
--- End quote ---

This is perhaps a result of not having something like this that starts with the x session:
--- Code: ---$ cat ~/.X.d/dbus
dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
--- End code ---

Arslan S.:
there is also notification-daemon-xfce you can use

download it and change dep list to

--- Code: ---lib.y.tcz
libxfcegui4.tcz
libnotify.tcz
shared-mime-info.tcz
hicolor-icon-theme.tcz
--- End code ---

also load gnome-icon-theme or any other icon theme

then execute (this is not really needed, just needed for some icons to be visible)

--- Code: ---sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor
--- End code ---

now it should work, tested from base, no need to start dbus daemon

--- Code: ---notify-send "test" "abc" -i applications-multimedia
--- End code ---

SamK:

--- Quote from: Juanito ---This is perhaps a result of not having something like this that starts with the x session:
Code:

--- Code: ---$ cat ~/.X.d/dbus
dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
This does stop the error message.

ps -A contains

--- Code: ---3927 tc       dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
3928 tc       /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7

--- End code ---

notify-send -u low "Now playing" "New Song" -t 5000 -i applications-multimedia returns: no error message but also does not display a notification.

/usr/local/bin/notification-properties returns:

--- Code: ---Segmentation fault

--- End code ---

aoss gnome-mplayer returns: no error message and works OK.

--- Quote from: Arslan S. on November 17, 2010, 10:58:09 AM ---there is also notification-daemon-xfce you can use

download it and change dep list to

--- Code: ---lib.y.tcz
libxfcegui4.tcz
libnotify.tcz
shared-mime-info.tcz
hicolor-icon-theme.tcz
--- End code ---

also load gnome-icon-theme or any other icon theme

then execute (this is not really needed, just needed for some icons to be visible)

--- Code: ---sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor
--- End code ---

now it should work, tested from base, no need to start dbus daemon

--- Code: ---notify-send "test" "abc" -i applications-multimedia
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
notification-daemon-xfce added to OnBoot, dependency list changed as recommended. Reboot.

ps -A contains no reference to dbus or notification-daemon-xfce

notify-send "test" "abc" -i applications-multimedia works OK as it produces the required OSD.

ps -A contains:

--- Code: ---4593 tc       dbus-launch --autolaunch 95e5f6024d0358e401df0b7d00000029 --bina
4594 tc       /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address
4596 tc       /usr/local/libexec/notification-daemon-xfce

--- End code ---

notify-send -u low "Now playing" "New Song" -t 5000 -i applications-multimedia
aoss gnome-mplayer returns no errors and works OK but does not produce an OSD notification at change of track.

My interpretation of the above is that there are two independent issues.

* Using notification-daemon.  The daemon only partially loads (segmentation fault?), leading to the failure to display any OSD notifications.
* Using notification-daemon-xfce. The daemon successfully loads, the OSD notification work OK, but is not triggered by the change of track.   

Arslan S.:
notification-daemon works ok under gnome-desktop session, or even xfce session, i have no idea about segmentation fault

if you compiled gnome-mplayer from source, make sure you have libnotify enabled

SamK:

--- Quote from: Arslan S. on November 18, 2010, 02:26:03 AM ---notification-daemon works ok under gnome-desktop session, or even xfce session, i have no idea about segmentation fault

--- End quote ---
I wonder if this is a dependency issue.  In an earlier post you suggested that I download notification-daemon-xfce and amend the .dep file.  This produced a working OSD.  I was already loading everything mentioned in your amended .dep except libxfcegui4.tcz and its dependencies.  Perhaps this indicates an expectation of  file/files not presently installed by notification-daemon.tcz.

--- Quote from: Arslan S. on November 18, 2010, 02:26:03 AM ---if you compiled gnome-mplayer from source, make sure you have libnotify enabled

--- End quote ---
I compile and build extensions so infrequently that I have no idea how to do this.  A pointer would be appreciated.  Is it simply a case of having notification-daemon loaded (providing libnotify as a dep) or does it require changes to the compile commands.  My skill set here is limited to the information in the wiki.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version