Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

Man pages compressed?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Jason W:
I made a script to compress man pages,  I will post it here for testing for now and I will upload it to programming and scripting after any needed changes are made.  I can also plug this into the audit script when checking.  Basically it compresses man pages, fixes the symlinks, and rebuilds the package in the case uncompressed man pages are found.

Also, the man command supports bzip2, so that is what is used here.

I see there are various places that man directories are found in extensions, and I think we should standardize on one, and /usr/local/man would likely be the best.

##Script moved to programming and scripting - 11.4.10

curaga:
Was it smaller than just bare squashfs?

Jason W:
I see a space savings of about 10% in the tests I ran for the size of the actual tcz.  But there is an issue with hard links that exist in some doc extensions, I will have to work that in.

But for copy-2-fs mode the space savings would be a much higher margin.  Since man pages take up only a small part of the average person's system, we will need to ponder if the extra trouble is worth it, but it at least is worth pondering.

jur:
As a n00b I would massively appreciate the integration of the man pages into apps. Often I have too google around for info and more often than not i run across, 'man xyz' and lament I can't do it.

gerald_clark:
There are many internet man pages readable from TCL.
EX:
http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/ls/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version