Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

Man pages compressed?

(1/6) > >>

gutmensch:
Heya,

since the man viewer is able to decompress gzip'ed man pages on the fly (at least it should be if configured correctly, says the Makefile), I'd suggest putting man pages into extensions only compressed and with suffix .gz like in other distros. What do you think? Maybe even the extension audit script could check for uncompressed man pages...

Best regards,
Robert

Jason W:
Perhaps a good point.  To do that and preserve the symlinks that are broken by the renaming to .gz, Slackware uses this routine in the Slackbuild.  I can also add a "check and repack if not gzipped" function in the audit routine.  I will add and test it before using it on live packages.

--- Code: ---if [ -d $PKG/usr/man ]; then
  ( cd $PKG/usr/man
    for manpagedir in $(find . -type d -name "man*") ; do
      ( cd $manpagedir
        for eachpage in $( find . -type l -maxdepth 1) ; do
          ln -s $( readlink $eachpage ).gz $eachpage.gz
          rm $eachpage
        done
        gzip -9 *.?
      )
    done
  )
fi

--- End code ---

tinypoodle:
Just an observation:

busybox gzip does not appear to have a "-9" option.
However, when specifying this option from command line, it simply gets ignored, it seems.

Jason W:
Actually, tonight I will test and see what difference it makes to gzip the individual files versus just letting the squashfs compression take care of it. 

But gzipping the files themselves will help those who use the copy-to-filesystem loading as opposed to mounted mode.

Jason W:
Oh, and I would likely use gnu gzip in the audit routine to use the -9 option, but I will see what difference it makes too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version