WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I would like to enable 1080p resolution  (Read 447 times)

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« on: September 26, 2026, 10:58:45 AM »
Hi all!
I am using TinyCorePure64-17.1.iso and I would like to change the screen resolution to 1920x1080.
How can I do that?

-thanks!

Offline gadget42

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1093
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2026, 12:02:36 PM »
this may or may-not be food-for-thought for your specifics

https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=28281.0
** WARNING: connection is not using a post-quantum key exchange algorithm
** This session may be vulnerable to "store now, decrypt later" attacks
** https://openssh.com/pq.html - https://blog.cloudflare.com/tag/post-quantum
** Where's-Your-Disconnect?  https://www.cloudflare.com/under-attack-hotline

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15837
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2026, 10:17:30 AM »
How did you install TinyCore?

You should be able to use the Xorg-7.7 extension to get your monitors native resolution by default.

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2026, 01:00:19 PM »
oh uh, I used TC intalll GUI.tcz.
Which xorg-7.7. should i install? there are so many.

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2026, 01:14:34 PM »
What do I do after installing   Xorg-7.7.tcz?

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2026, 01:24:05 PM »
I am using VirtualBox. Is that ok?

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15837
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2026, 03:39:51 AM »
I don't have virtualbox to test, but you need to check which extensions, if any, you have set to load "onboot" (you can do this with the apps gui).

If the Xfbdev extension is set "onboot", remove it and put Xorg-7.7 in it's place. Check that you have a minimum set of extensions "onboot" (for example Xorg-7.7, flwm, aterm and wbar) and reboot.

Alternatively, you can remove all extensions from "onboot", reboot and then load a minimum set of extensions and "startx".

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15837
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2026, 06:28:14 AM »
I managed to get hold of virtualbox, loaded the TinyCorePure64 iso and then used tc-install-GUI to install TinyCorePure64 in the vm.

Xorg-7.7 didn't want to start a gui, but using graphics-KERNEL and Xorg-7.7-3d the gui started.

You can use the virtualbox preferences expert tab to change the display resolution to "hints" and then set a resolution, but leaving it in "auto" seems to scale OK with the window.

I added vbox-KERNEL to the repo, but so far I haven't managed to get a shared folder working nor 3d graphics (it's using llvmpipe at present).

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2026, 12:17:32 PM »
Ok, I am trying that.
In the mean time, is it possible to do this?
I find that the font of the default terminal to be so good! But when I use VIM, I think because the terminal only support a small number
of colours, the colorscheme looks off and awful. Is it possible to fix that? Also, I tried to use LXterminal, it seems that's the other option for
terminal, the default font is not nearly as good. Is it possible to either make the default terminal support more colours, or use the
same font for aterm or xterm in LXterminal?

-thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2026, 12:37:41 PM by MaxFury »

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2026, 12:40:57 PM »
ok, i put those two tcz in the onboot and i set the preference of the virtualbox that way,
but it didnt work. What can I do now?

thanks!

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15837
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2026, 01:04:54 PM »
Did you set flwm, aterm and wbar onboot as well as graphics-KERNEL and Xorg-7.7-3d?

What error message did you get?

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2026, 01:07:29 PM »
I am unable to find a .tcz in APP gui call "graphics-KERNEL"
Is it called something else?

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2026, 01:10:57 PM »
I think there were some messages during boot, but I can't read them because they only flashed for a second and then the system booted successfully

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2026, 01:15:50 PM »
These two pictures show what my onboot look like. I think most of these things show up after I install the GUI for TC install


Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2026, 01:16:43 PM »
picture two