WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wiki List of supported wifi devices  (Read 142812 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Wiki List of supported wifi devices
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:38:41 AM »
Ok, am not sure if this is the best location for this thread but have started a list of supported wifi devices in the wiki.  it should be a place of reference for those in search of a Core supported wifi device and to learn which extension will be required to support it.

Wiki list of supported wifi devices

This project is still under construction, so please your input is welcome.  At this early stage am open to suggestions as to which device information to include to best help those who need it and of course for ease of maintenance.

To add your tested device to the list I suggest copying this template/list to your post below.   Please include as much information as possible and I'll do my best to include and maintain the wiki list with this info, thanks.

Template/Example

Wireless NIC Chip =
USB ID =
PCI ID =
OEM & Model as tested =
HW rev =
Interface =
WLAN standard [802.11] =
Frequency Band =
Security (1) =
Tested with kernel =
Tested with Wifi.tcz =
Required Extensions (2) =
Notes =

Example

Wireless NIC Chip = RTL8712U
USB ID =
PCI ID =
OEM & Model as tested = Amped-UA150C
HW rev =
Interface = USB 2.0
WLAN standard [802.11] = 802.11 b/g/n
Frequency Band = 2.4GHz
Security (1) =  WPA/WPA2
Tested with kernel = 3.0.21-tinycore
Tested with Wifi.tcz = Y
Required Extensions (2) = wl-rtl8712u-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz (r8712u) - firmware.tcz (rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin)
Notes = WPS (not tested)

Notes
1.  Security WPA2 assumes WPA/WPA2 & WEP.   if other please specify in the Features/notes section ( WPS )

2. As in specific extensions (TCZ's) required for device functionality and connection manager tested with but not to include deps of a connection manager, unless that dep includes a required module or firmware for the specific adaptor.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:18:14 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
Re: Wiki List of supported wifi devices
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:56:22 AM »
I would like to participate but I can not find this information, maybe you could write how to find this info in top of the wiki page

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:16:01 AM »
What is missing is the chipset information adapter is based on.

Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »
Hi coreplayer2
That looks like a very good starting point. I will offer a few thoughts however.
FCC ID: While this can be used to track down some information about the device/manufacturer, I think changing it
                to USB ID and PCI ID for external and internal respectively would be a more useful choice.
Features: Maybe the information from Interface, WLAN standard [802.11], Frequency Band, and Security columns
                  could be consolidated under a features column. This will help conserve some horizontal space in the table
                  yet still convey that information.
Links: Add a column that can contain links to threads in the forum that have helped people. A narrow column that can
           contain the word  Link  on one or more lines would suffice. That would aid someone in finding threads relevant
           to their device.
Supported via Wifi.tcz: Remove that column and make Wifi.tcz or whatever the primary tool required is the first entry
                                          under Required Extensions.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:20:57 AM »
Nice idea and good job so far :) I would also opt for Vendor ID and Product ID as of lsusb and lspci. It's the simplest method to get a proper (and often complete) identification of the hardware.
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
What is missing is the chipset information adapter is based on.

Yes I agree this can be misleading but comes under the heading of "Wireless NIC" in the first column.   While debating how to label this most important item I researched the chip manufacturers web site and was surprised to find they refer to their chips as Wireless NIC's  so that is what I called them, thinking it was self-explanatory..

Perhaps we should Change the heading from  Wireless NIC  to " Based on Wireless NIC Chip " ?? 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:27:38 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
FCC ID: While this can be used to track down some information about the device/manufacturer, I think changing it
                to USB ID and PCI ID for external and internal respectively would be a more useful choice.
Cool  am all over that!!

Features: Maybe the information from Interface, WLAN standard [802.11], Frequency Band, and Security columns
                  could be consolidated under a features column. This will help conserve some horizontal space in the table
                  yet still convey that information.
Like this :)

Supported via Wifi.tcz: Remove that column and make Wifi.tcz or whatever the primary tool required is the first entry under Required Extensions.
See, here's the thing..  I didn't want to alienate or offend those who like there own network manager, though Wifi.tcz is my preferred and recommended manager it isn't mandatory.  Whereas the driver module and firmware extensions are..    This really refers to which tcz's are absolutely required for this device to function as advertised and which connection manager has it been tested with.   Perhaps I can find a workaround...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:00:32 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline vinnie

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
Nice idea and good job so far :) I would also opt for Vendor ID and Product ID as of lsusb and lspci. It's the simplest method to get a proper (and often complete) identification of the hardware.
I use an internal module, so I think that's enough lspci:
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ lspci
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
tc@box:~$

Bingo?
ok I tried to edit the wiki in my ability

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
Vinnie,  just place the details here in this thread and I'll update the wiki thank you.  But looks like you got it, thanks for the contribution  ;D

Good job Vinnie 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:29:53 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 05:04:39 AM »
Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:00:52 AM »
Hi coreplayer2
In order to retrieve the PCI ID, people should use the command
lspci -nnThe code is shown in the form  nnnn:nnnn  and is enclosed in square brackets.
For the USB ID, the command is
lsusbThe code is just to the right of the word  ID  in the same form.
These codes not only identify the  Vendor:Product  of the device in question, they do so in a very concise and
consistent manner. Getting individuals to include these IDs when posting about any hardware problems could
could also be beneficial when it comes to searching the forum for answers.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
Thank's I'd forgot about the -nn.  ok added it to the link to the footnotes and extended the notes to each relevant column header

thanks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:03:03 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
Also maybe I need to give another example..

copy the Template from op  and edit it with your adapters specific details, like this one please :)

Second USB-Wifi adapter from Patriot

Wireless NIC Chip = Realtek Semiconductor  RTL8191SU
USB ID = 0dba:8172
PCI ID =
OEM & Model as tested = Patriot - PCBOWAU2-N
HW rev =
Interface = USB 2.0
WLAN standard [802.11] = 802.11 b/g/n
Frequency Band = 2.4GHz
Security (1) =  WPA/WPA2
Tested with kernel = 3.0.21-tinycore
Tested with Wifi.tcz = Y
Required Extensions (2) = wl-rtl8712u-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz (r8712u), firmware.tcz (rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin)
Notes = WPS (not tested)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:57:46 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline vinnie

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
Vinnie,  just place the details here in this thread and I'll update the wiki thank you.  But looks like you got it, thanks for the contribution  ;D

Good job Vinnie

oops, I'd misunderstood
PCI ID = 168c:002b

that's right? :P

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
No problem thanks  :)