WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Sourceforge is hosting a bogus Tiny Core project.  (Read 26058 times)

Offline cjgau

Re: Sourceforge is promoting fraud!
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »
Abnormal situation

• Ok, be serious and strive within the limits; it would be nice to have an easily perceptible trademark policy (with your signature on it, Robert) after having trade mark registered.
  • At the center of TC splash screen, on booting, put a vivid button (again, with your signature on it) when it's clicked pointing the new comers back to TC site or forum.
Uhhh; AGREE
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:54:50 PM by cjgau »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 03:02:58 AM »
Shorty this is my view:

• SourceForge is a great pleace offering complete infrastucture for developers including site hosting, SVN, CMS, trouble ticketing, mailing lists, blog, etc. But! It is not a file sharing server.
  • Just sharing files is for sure is against the intention of SF owners.
  • Your activity doesn't add any value to the project.
  • To share someone's else work against his explicit request is fraud.
  • To delete all negative feedback and make anonym self support post is childish.
  • To wast others time for your entertainment is crime.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:05:58 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 03:45:37 AM »
I mean, blocking my mac address from accessing the forum?

Now that is interesting...   ::)
Patiently waiting for pointers how that could be done...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Guy

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:05 AM »
You can block IP Addresses using Iptables.

I don't know if that actually happened.

I don't know how they would even know his IP Address.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 04:07:00 AM »
You can block IP Addresses using Iptables.

I don't know if that actually happened.

I don't know how they would even know his IP Address.

No need for iptables. It's a built-in function of SMF forum engine to restrict a user based on IP.
Béla

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 04:19:45 AM »
Umm... IP and MAC address are different things, the user did not refer to IP...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 04:35:01 AM »
Umm... IP and MAC address are different things, the user did not refer to IP...

This indicates simply luck of technical knowledge.

BTW, in a hosted environment you do not have access to IP tables and IP tables doesn't work without influencing other hosted services (other WEB sites) access.
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2011, 05:32:10 AM »
I have removed grimaldo's post, we do not owe him a voice or stage to further his antics.  After all, he allows no critical post on his bogus page, so fair is fair.  I was going to remove the posts that follow, but don't see the need, though I stopped after deleting one or two.  

I think he has wasted enough of our time, and I should have just taken down his post from the start even though his own words revealed his ill intentions as well as his lack of any merit in his case.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:40:51 AM by Jason W »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:30 AM »
As an owner of another forum where time to time similar debates occour my policy is not to remove posts except when they are promoting legally illegal activities or very personal. Community itself can manage the situation in short time. Keeping the flames can help later to justify happenings and position poster for readers. Posts do not harm in 2-3 weeks time while their deletion gives munition to the poster.

This is just my policy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:00:16 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2011, 06:27:07 AM »
I understand your point of view, and almost always agree with that approach.  And my timing was not ideal, nor was my overall handling.  But he has already hijacked our name, and does not need to also be able to hijack our forum and divert even more of our time, adding insult to injury.  

No offense by me was meant to our community  here, and this is my last involvement on the subject of grimaldo.   The modest amount of time and energy I have available for TC will remain focused on my normal stuff. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:02:59 AM by Jason W »

Offline Michael Wells

Re: Sourceforge is hosting a bogus Tiny Core project.
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »
It seems that Grimaldo has taken to heart some of the complaints made about his Tiny Core Sourceforge website.

For one he has changed the name to Tiny Core Linux Metadata with the stated purpose that:
This project produces metadata for Tiny Core Linux ISO images.
and he also says in the files section that:
This project was founded and created by Robert Shingledecker.
(C) 2008,2009,2010,2011 Robert Shingledecker.

Furthermore he now offers source code:
These files are provided here for your convenience. Be aware that this source tree may or may not be up to date at any given time. For Tiny Core Linux information, support and the complete file repository including source code please refer to the Tiny Core Linux site at http://tinycorelinux.com. If you have any problems acquiring the source code please feel free to send me an email at grimaldo@users.sourceforge.net and I will mail it to you on DVD-R for cost of postage and production(*).

Source for the metadata is the ISO, and the code that creates the metadata is not released yet. 
•= (DVD-R distribution offer is valid for at least 3 years from the date a file was first posted)

Finally his main project that was called Boothorn Distros which was essentially a remaster of TinyCoreLinux to download distro iso files and add them to a startup grub menu has now had almost all the files that cantained any Tinycore code removed.  This is probably a followup to his desire to release his Boothorn Distro using another base system due to the flame war between the two projects.

I think that this is a classic case of someone trying to learn from mistakes and trying to do something to correct some of them.  It may not satisfy everyone ... that remains to be seen ... and so much bad blood was created that I don't know if it can ever be dissipated, but this does hopefully start to move things in a better direction.  I think both sides have said a few things that they wish they could take back but it is probably too late.  I do hope that in the end cooler minds will prevail when and if solutions are found to satisfy everyone. 

For the record ... I am not trying to support either side over the other in this issue and I have no direct connections to either side in the dispute.  I just hope to see peace restored, if that might be possible.

Offline hiro

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
Communication is promoting fraud. Think about it :)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »
Project is gone. Doesn't exist at SourceForge.
Béla

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
Probably a matter of definition, but I would rather call it modified (including name and description) than gone.

Offline Guy

Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.