WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to load dwm?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline mchurch

how to load dwm?
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've read through the threads on the boards pertaining to dwm and I have compiled it successfully, but since it isn't an extension I don't know how to get it to overwrite the WM I'm using (wmii) when I run startx.  I've tried fooling around in .xsession but nothing has worked so far.

Thanks.

Also, since it seems from the boards that people are using dwm with microcore, could we possibly get it as an extension?

Offline maro

Re: how to load dwm?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
The WM executable that is started via 'startx' (or rather '~/.xsession') is controlled by the value of $DESKTOP. This variable itself is loaded from '/etc/sysconfig/desktop'. For that reason all WM extensions contain a startup script that changes the content of said file. On the assumption that your WM executable is 'dwm' I'd say that echo dwm | sudo tee /etc/sysconfig/desktop > /dev/null should do the trick.

BTW, for a startup script (e.g. '/usr/local/tce.installed/dwm') in your own extension (e.g. 'dwm.tcz') a simple echo dwm > /etc/sysconfig/desktop should be enough, as startup scripts are run by 'root' during extension installation.