WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Filemgr crash segfault  (Read 2738 times)

Offline tweetyhack

Filemgr crash segfault
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:23:16 PM »
Hi, while browsing ntfs partition, Filemgr closes(crashes).  I tried it twice.  Dmesg shows: fluff[776]: segfault at 53474e49 sp bfc2c150 error 4.

Running tc 3.3 booting off usb flash drive. ntfs-3g ver 2010.5.22.

Crashes when opening /mnt/sda1/Documents and Settings/user/My Documents/Limewire/Saved.  This harddrive was infected with malware which has been cleaned off. Able to ls the folder fine.

Frank

Re: Filemgr crash segfault
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:45:40 PM »
Intuitively that sounds like an overflow somewhere. Can you please say (a) how many files are in that folder, and (b) how big is the biggest one?

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the crash report.   :)

I have not tested Fluff with NTFS partitions before, so I don't know if that is contributing to the problem or the fact that your path includes spaces, or something else is causing it.   ???
I will try to look into this and see if I can reproduce it.
--
Mike Lockmoore

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:04:46 AM »
@tweetyhack: I tried to reproduce your crash, but so far I have not been able to see it.  I tried to re-create your path under /tmp instead of /mnt, (/tmp/sda1/Documents and Settings/user/My Documents/Limewire/Saved) and put some files there and could browse them and launch associated files. 

Then I installed the ntfs-3g.tcz and mounted a XP partition (harddisk, not USB drive).  I am able to browse the partition with no crashes and launch associated applications (music player, picture viewer) for the files on the NTFS partition.

I also tried to directly open to the mounted partition:
   tc@box~$ fluff "/mnt/hdc2/Documents and Settings/mike/My Documents/My Music"
This worked OK for me too.

:-\ Maybe there is something different about running TC from a USB drive?  Or your NTFS partition is corrupt in a way you can't easily see, except Fluff does not handle it OK?  I don't know what else to try to do to isolate the problem and see if there is a reasonable fix.
--
Mike

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
@tweetyhack:One potentially important note: I installed the current version of ntfs-3g.tcz, noted as "2010/11/27 Bumped to 2010.10.2" but listed as version "2010.10.10.2".  This seems to be a few versions newer than yours.  Perhaps you can upgrade ntfs-3g.tcz and try again?

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »
Another update. I found a bug that could be the same as this one... If you mount a filesystem and the file ower or file user group are not defined in the host system, then Fluff can crash trying to look up a user name or group name that does not exist natively.  The fix is to print the generic ID number "100" instead of a textual name.  I'm not sure this happened in your crashes, but if so, it has been fixed in the versions of Fluff now found in the TC 3.4-rc series.
--
ML

Offline tweetyhack

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:45:09 AM »
haha, I guess I should check my own posts. I haven't played with tinycore for a bit. Completely forgot what I was doing to get the crash. Got a new crash to report though, this time for FAT32; starting a new thread for it though.