WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Anybody know what this means? SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future udev version  (Read 4441 times)

Offline bbelden

Here is the whole message: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future udev version,
please use ATTR{}= to match the event device,
or ATTRS{}= to match a parent device, in
/lib/udev/rules.d/56-hpmud_support.rules:10

This shows up at the end of my boot process-a bunch of these fly by so it's more than one rule.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
This looks like it's coming from the hplip extension - do you have it loaded/does the message go away when the extension is not there?

Offline bbelden

Juanito--you are a genius! Yes, I just loaded it today to get CUPS working. How do I get rid of these?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
You could try the brute force method of editing the hplip extension to remove the udev rule as long as your printer is not one of those listed in the rule.

What version of tc are you using?

Offline bbelden

I am using Tiny Core 2.11

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
OK -  I won't be able to look at this for a few days, but I don't think there's anything to be concerned about in the error messages.

Offline bbelden

No, it doesn't cause any problems that I can see. I'll just load it OnDemand when I need to print something.

Thanks for identifying that message for me so quickly.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
from
Code: [Select]
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/55-hpmud.rules
2. It seems SFSFS has been replaced or depreciated by ATTR/ATTRS, but I continue to use SFSFS in order to be compatible with
#      older distros. SFSFS was defined in "Writing udev rules" Ver 0.72, Daniel Drake. 2/11/2009, D Suffield
# photosmart_d2300_series
SYSFS{idVendor}=="03f0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="c302", OWNER="tc", GROUP="staff", MODE="660"

This would explain the error messages you see - odd that if I load the hplip extension and then "udevadm trigger" I don't see anything in dmesg...

Offline lucky13

• my mostly linux-related blog
As Juanito pasted in, SYSFS is still often used for the sake of legacy. The messages are harmless and can be ignored since they relate to future deprecation of SYSFS and not to any actual issues with any hardware or software. I get them when I boot due to udev rules for libmtp which are still SYSFS instead of ATTR(S) [edit: at least in one distro; I just looked at my rules for libmtp in Debian and they're ATTR). If it really bothers you, you can edit the rules to use ATTR or ATTRS instead of SYSFS.

Edit: Maybe editing the rules is something TC extension submitters should consider to reduce any user anxiety.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:12:48 AM by lucky13 »

Offline Onyarian

I have the same message at boot:

udevd[76]:SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}= to match a parent device, in /etc/udev/rules.d/45-alcatelx060.rules:1
udevd[76]:SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}= to match a parent device, in /etc/udev/rules.d/45-alcatelx060.rules:2

this is a file for my 3G usb modem

45-alcatelx060.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="f000", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1bbb", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/usb_modeswitch"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0000", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1bbb", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1bbb product=0x0000"

with your information I have substitute SYSFS with ATTRS and now the message is out and seems to work properly, I write this with an internet connection with this device.
Thanks!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
updated hplip extension posted