WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 915resolution Tutorial?  (Read 5479 times)

Offline rtb

915resolution Tutorial?
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »
I've found a few useful posts on this, but its very scattered information.  Also, the development of this distro is young and fast paced, so some of the posts are dated.

This post:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=3385.0

appears to be the best I've found.  I'm not really sure where where appbrowser downloads the .tcz's or if I should be running 915resolution from command line before I go through the process.  640x480 isn't fun, and Xorg is a disaster on this machine.  Any help would be very appreciated.

Offline OldAdamUser2

Re: 915resolution Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:12:54 PM »
OK. I'm no expert, but 915resolution seems pretty simple. First, it only works for some Intel processors, but you may have one of those.

If you use Appbrowser to "Install" it, it should be loaded automatically the next time you boot into Tiny Core (assuming that you have some form of persistence). If I remember correctly, you may have to select screen resolution during that boot, but then the chosen resolution is "remembered." (In earlier versions of Tiny Core, I believe that choosing to "Mount" it from Appbrowser worked well.)

That's all there is to it--at least in my setup.

Offline rtb

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »
Hmm, I was hoping it would be more complicated than that because I believe thats what I've been doing.

On my original install the resolution size is correct (1024x768), but it installs at 32b when I need 16.  The result is a screen that is almost black, like I'm wearing sunglasses or something, and when I run a prog like rox or firefox it displays in 3-4 colors and is unusable.  I can then click the xvesa adjustment button and the only option is 600x480, it works with correct colors etc.

After installnig 915resolution I run sudo 915resolution -l to find the mode.  Then sudo 915resolution 45 1024 768 in my case.  On reboot, its back to a dark screen and xvesa has no option to revert to a usable 600x480 like before.

I've been battling this for a few days now and have needed to wipe my settings many times and start over.   What makes this worse is I'm running a machine with no optical/usb boot option.

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
When it boots with the nearly black screen, what happens if you immediately open a terminal window and run "sudo 915resolution 45 1024 768"? If that fixes your problem, you couod just write a little script to run at each boot.

Offline rtb

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
After the initial install of 915resolution, as the system reboots, something happens where I catch a glimpse of the correct resolution in all its glory.  Then on reboot the screen is VERY ugly.  xsession is still set to 600x480, so I change it to the correct resolution and then I'm back to the dark screen.  Runing the 915resolution mode command does nothing to improve this.  Also, I've gone into the the tce.install folder and corrected it to show my 915r mode and that doesn't help either.

Something I've just noticed, is that after reboot, when I check my tce.installed/915resolution file its back to some 'default' eee mode I believe.  Which is 50 1024 600.  Before this reboot I deleted the file and made my own 915res script with my settings.

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
Is it possible that your backup file is causing this? (I think the file is mydata.gz.) If you have it working right and make a backup before you shutdown, then maybe it will work right the next time you boot. On the other hand, if you ordinarily shutdown without making a backup (and a tainted mydata.gz exists), then that might cause the kind of problem you describe.

For what it's worth, I too have 50 1024 600 in /usr/locaql/tce.installed/915resolution. But I think that is the correct setting for my netbook display.

Offline rtb

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:18:56 PM »
I'm able to install programs normally and they're still around after reboots.  That does remind me of something tho.  When I was trying to get Xorg to work, my xorg.conf was getting wiped on reboots.  Maybe they're related.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 11:22:16 PM »
..Then sudo 915resolution 45 1024 768 in my case.  On reboot, its back to a dark screen and xvesa has no option to revert to a usable 600x480 like before.

This command will need to be run after the 915resolution extension is loaded on every boot - either you can add it to /opt/bootlocal.sh (and make sure it is in your backup) or make your own customised 915resolution extension with the command in the startup script