WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Skype workaround  (Read 18109 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Skype workaround
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »
my webcam crashes skype

Maybe it is not supported by the Kernel.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tclfan

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »
But upon reading up on it, their logic seems to be that skype works best when both parties using it are using the same version, the current version in particular. 
The same version on both ends will hardly ever happen though, especially if we are using Linux based Skype on this end.  Do they mean perhaps matching Windows version 4 to Linux version 2?
It is diappointing they do not seem to keep Linux version up to date... There are significant quality enhancements in version 3 and version 4. Does this mean Linux Skype quality is not up to par comparing with current Windows version or that Linux version 2 is comparable? I have not seen any comparison testing done... and would like to migrate my Skype machine to TC based one eventually...

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 05:41:23 PM »
Finally got alsa working, so now the skype package works.  This is a big improvement over using wine...the sound doesn't keep breaking up, and integration with the keyboard is way better.  Many thanks to sci-fi for finding this working version....I've been waiting for this.  offtopic:  booting up slax really makes you appreciate tc, doesn't it?  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:45:23 PM by jpeters »

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 12:11:09 AM »
I just noted that the Skype 2.1 Beta version for linux is available on the official skype site. Someone at Slax converted it very promptly.

Also, for anyone interested. Here is a site with earlier releases of Skype.
http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php
Probably less necessary now, but ...

I agree with jpeters regarding slax. I am a long time, loyal slax fan. Slax is elegant and robust. However, TC is just that, tiny. Small is beautiful. TC also boots VERY fast. Loads of modules available. I now use TC most of the time and like it a lot.

Nice to have a newer version of skype working. That really made TC my go to distro. Thanks again to bmarkus for making the module!!!!!!

Best,

sci_fi

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 02:55:41 AM »
I just noted that the Skype 2.1 Beta version for linux is available on the official skype site. Someone at Slax converted it very promptly.

Great....that means it's a script can be made available for the repository.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 03:01:38 AM »

This is true, the version number is the same. But check first the downloaded version :) The good point is that there are no any licence agreement acceptance sheet, checkbox, etc., just a pure download link.
Béla

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 04:26:29 AM »

This is true, the version number is the same. But check first the downloaded version :) The good point is that there are no any licence agreement acceptance sheet, checkbox, etc., just a pure download link.

Yes....it's good to go.....same as the slax version. Install script is in programming.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:28:41 AM by jpeters »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 04:30:12 AM »

Yes....it's good to go.....same as the slax version. Install script is in programming.

Great job !
Béla

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 04:32:30 AM »

Great job !

Simple adaptation of one of Jason's scripts. :)

Offline jls

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 06:06:02 AM »
my webcam crashes skype

Maybe it is not supported by the Kernel.
my webcam (stv680) works fine in firefox and opera
dCore user

Offline clach04

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »
Just a quick thank you for working on this. Skype 2.1 is now working beautifully on my old laptop. I ended up posting to http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2083.msg16436#msg16436 with some info on how I dealt with Microphone problems (with ALSA).

Chris

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »
I gave skype a go with alsa and a bluetooth headset - I could logon, send a text and initiate a call, which started to ring at the other end and then skype crashed and, for the first time ever in tinycore, locked up my machine.

Although I heard various beeps through the bt headset, I did not hear the other phone ring, so it's not clear for me if this was working or not.

Note that the way it works with skype here is:

1. skype release a new version and it works.
2. the telco manages to block the new version of skype
3. go back to 1.

..so given I could send a text, it would seem to suggest that the linux version of skype is close to the windows version, which works at the moment.

I tried again after reboot, skype worked for a few seconds and then crashed and then refused to start again with:
Code: [Select]
$ /usr/local/skype/skype
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
Killed

I tried a couple of times more, but it started killing beaver, wbar, opera, etc so I figure it was time to stop  :)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
What is the version number of your Skype you have tried?
Béla

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 10:37:11 AM »
linux 2.1.0.47 - windows 4.1.0.136

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:17 AM »
I gave skype a go with alsa and a bluetooth headset - I could logon, send a text and initiate a call, which started to ring at the other end and then skype crashed and, for the first time ever in tinycore, locked up my machine.

Although I heard various beeps through the bt headset, I did not hear the other phone ring, so it's not clear for me if this was working or not.

Note that the way it works with skype here is:

1. skype release a new version and it works.
2. the telco manages to block the new version of skype
3. go back to 1.

..so given I could send a text, it would seem to suggest that the linux version of skype is close to the windows version, which works at the moment.

I tried again after reboot, skype worked for a few seconds and then crashed and then refused to start again with:
Code: [Select]
$ /usr/local/skype/skype
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
Killed

I tried a couple of times more, but it started killing beaver, wbar, opera, etc so I figure it was time to stop  :)

The error messages (I'm sure you never saw the Xlib one before  :) ) don't seem to affect anything.
I haven't had any problems with the current version, so I suspect it's conflicting with a bluetooth device or something.  Freezing isn't a unique experience for me, and will happen with soundcard conflicts (like attempting to load alsa with OSS present.