WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is Rock Ridge neccessary for remastering?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline helasz

Is Rock Ridge neccessary for remastering?
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:20:21 AM »
I tried (several times) to remaster microcore.

1) remastering the same from the iso extracted files without altering resulted in slightly different size, but working ISO image

2) remastering with only "external additions" (tce folder, mydata.tgz) works fine

3) remastering with modified (even only decompressed and recompressed) initramdisk claimed "kernel panic, not syncing" if done according to the WIKI receipt.

I found that the WIKI description is slightly different from the script in the topic "Remaster script" at the step of compressing the initrd. The difference is in the options for gzip (-2 against nothing) and advdef (-z4 against -qz4). The "Remaster script" is working for TC, but the WIKI description is giving the kernel panic according to both methods. The mkisofs throws a warning that claims the need of Rock Ridge extension also. I managed to remaster Micro Core only with the Rock Ridge (-R option for mkisofs) extension. Is this a rule or am I missing something?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Is Rock Ridge neccessary for remastering?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27:27 AM »
Rock Ridge shouldn't affect anything, it's merely unix permissions for the ISO.

Cannot reproduce. Following the directions in the wiki to the letter, I have a normal boot, complete with a non-RR iso.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.