WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: USB BOOT  (Read 6555 times)

Offline rspadim

USB BOOT
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:30:47 PM »
Hello how could i make usb (pendrive) boot of tinycore, or microcore?
thanks!

Offline bigpcman

Re: USB BOOT
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »
Hello how could i make usb (pendrive) boot of tinycore, or microcore?
thanks!
Boot up using the cd iso image then use the installusb tool located in the tools menu to creat a bootable usb stick.
big pc man

Offline junan

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:13:32 AM »
fun and fearless ...

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
I've been given an HP Pavilion 554Y box.

Problems: No CD ROM drive, so-called CD Writer drive doesn't appear to be recognized as a boot device. Has Removable Devices as a boot option, but not sure if that includes USB stick or just floppy.

Attempted solution: Tried creating a bootable USB stick on my current TCL box. Booted into cloud mode, mounted target USB stick as sda1, installed the required extensions (per15, dosfstools, syslinux) and ran the USBInstall script (from Tools). Selected the 'z' option. Script prompted for target USB mount point. Entered sda as suggested. Script exited immediately and window closed. Tried booting the HP box with the USB stick anyway, with Removable Devices selected as the first boot option. Booted off the hard disk into Windows, then started giving me a bunch of messages about how my computer's not secure, etc.

Besides reminding me why I stopped using Windows in the first place, didn't accomplish a thing.

Any ideas? Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:43:26 PM by thane »

Offline jls

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »
try 2 run the script from a terminal 2 see the eventual error msgs
dCore user

Offline Guy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
I am not familiar with that particular model.

The BIOS in most older computer cannot be set up to boot from a usb drive.

Check again that it cannot be booted from the cd writer.

/bios.html][removed due to policy violation]/bios.html

If it cannot be booted from the cd writer, you may need to remove the hard drive, connect it to another computer, install Tiny Core, then put it back in the computer again.

Another option would be to connect a cd which can be booted on this computer.

Do you want to install Tiny Core on the hard drive?

If you remove the hard drive and install Tiny Core using another computer, I suggest making at least two Linux partitions (Ext3) and a swap partition. That way, when you want to upgrade to a newer version, you can use Tiny Core on one partition to upgrade Tiny Core on the other partition.

/partition.html][removed due to policy violation]/partition.html

/install.html][removed due to policy violation]/install.html
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline thane

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 11:50:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'll attempt booting from CD again. As it happens I have an old DVD ROM drive laying around (no idea if it works) that I can try as well. It won't fit in the bay but when I open the case it looks like there's enough slack in the wires to hook it up externally. I'll also take another shot at a bootable USB stick. Even if this box can't use it in the course of time I'll acquire one that can.

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 12:05:21 AM »
If the BIOS cannot be set up to boot from a usb drive, PLoP can be used.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Offline thane

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »
Successfully created a bootable USB stick (thanks jls_legalize). Running the script from a terminal showed several errors that I had to correct. Unfortunately the HP box can't seem to boot from a USB stick. Won't boot from the CD Writer drive either. In both cases it boots off the hard drive, even though Removable Devices and CD ROM are above the hard drive in the boot list.

Will try the PLoP idea before resorting to the surgical options.

Offline thane

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
I was finally able to boot the HP box into TCL from CD (with the PC case open just barely enough slack in the cables to plug in an external drive). Still won't boot off a USB stick (in zip format) even though PC has Removable Storage as a boot option. Maybe the stick needs to be in one of the HDD formats? Something else to try...

Offline jls

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »
try hdd instead of zip
dCore user

Offline Guy

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 01:09:18 AM »
The best way to install Tiny Core on a USB drive is to select "USB Installation" from the menu (right click).

If you can't run Tiny Core to start with, for example, if your computer won't boot from a CD, here is an alternate method.

[removed due to policy violation]/tc1/install-usb.html

Offline thane

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
OK, found out from a co-worker that older HP boxes require a utility file (non-Tiny Core) on the USB device for it to be recognized as bootable. More research needed...

Offline willn52

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »
Why not use unetbootin? Its pretty quick, requires little effort, and has a list of several distributions that you can play with installing. Lots of fun to play with to.
"Dave's not here"

Offline datorbiera

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 08:29:19 AM »
Hello,

I'm trying as well to run TinyCore on USB.  My computer starts the booting process, it finds the kernel at /boot/bzImage, and then initrd at /boot/tinycore.gz.  But then it tells me: "no setup signature found".  I haven't come cross that one before.  Does anyone have any ideas ?

Many thanks !