WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wireless problems  (Read 2841 times)

Offline aplannan

wireless problems
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:48:46 PM »
Hi,
I have been using Tinycore with my IBM x31 thinkpad for a few months. I use fluxbox as a window manager. As part of my fluxbox menu I have the following lines:

[submenu] (Net)
         [exec]  (home) {sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "XXXXXXXXXXXX"; sudo iwconfig eth1 key XXXXXXXXXX; sudo ifconfig eth1 up; udhcpc -i eth1}
         [exec]  (school) {sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "tempest"; sudo ifconfig eth1 up; sudo udhcpc -i eth1}

The X's in the home settings are my address and WEP. These commands allowed my to always reliably and quickly access the internet wireless. I now, can no longer access at home, although I can at school. I have a wireless enabled PDA and using my home essid and WEP key (the same ones as in the lines above) i can still access from home, so that I think the problem is with my computer. Here are the things that may have caused this:

1. I used a persistent usb version of Ubuntu on my computer at school. I tried to get on line using the wireless conection. Rather than asking for my essid and WEP it mentioned something about my VPN. I tried a few things to get on, thinking that I couldn't make any changes which would effect my normal Tiny Core set up. I never got online, but ever since I did this Tiny core has not been able to link to the internet at home.

2. My girlfriends sister was using my wireless over the weekend. However, like I mentioned, I can still access using the same settings I have always used on my PDA, so I don't think she changed anything.

When I type the commands listed above into my root terminal, after:
udhcpc -i eth1

I get:
Sending discover......

repeated over and over again.
If I type in iwlist scan, my network is listed.
Sorry about all the detail but I thought it might help someone who is more knowledgeable solve the riddle. 
Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Retired Admins
Re: wireless problems
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »
Is udhcpc already running?  If so, try killing it first

Offline 4-stroke

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »
Is udhcpc already running?  If so, try killing it first

Try that first.

This always works for me:

Code: [Select]
sudo ifconfig eth1 up
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid ESSID key s:password
sleep2
sudo udhcpc -i eth1

The "s:" should be used if you use a plain text password, otherwise leave it out.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:11:14 AM by 4-stroke »
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams

Offline Kyle

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:49:39 PM »
Um, one quick thing.  If your menu config is directly copied from your system to this board, then you are missing a "sudo" on the last part of your "home" config, just before "udhcp".

This is what you wrote:

[submenu] (Net)
         [exec]  (home) {sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "XXXXXXXXXXXX"; sudo iwconfig eth1 key XXXXXXXXXX; sudo ifconfig eth1 up; udhcpc -i eth1}
         [exec]  (school) {sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "tempest"; sudo ifconfig eth1 up; sudo udhcpc -i eth1}

But, I think this is what you want (sudo should not be in caps):

[submenu] (Net)
         [exec]  (home) {sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "XXXXXXXXXXXX"; sudo iwconfig eth1 key XXXXXXXXXX; sudo ifconfig eth1 up; SUDO udhcpc -i eth1}

Offline alu

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 03:21:49 AM »
how does your resolv.conf looks like? if you have made it persistent, it is possible that resolv.conf have kept the dns of the server at school.