WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: cfdisk missing  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Yuval711

cfdisk missing
« on: December 11, 2023, 01:44:50 PM »
Hello to all,

I'm new here for TinyCore and trying to install it on a VM from ISO loaded via Virtual CD-ROM

I allocated 25GB virtual-disk, and via GUI and CLI trying to install CFdisk so I can partition the new HD in order to install TC permanently but for the life of me I cannot find a way to load CFdisk!! PLEASE HELP  ;) ;) ;)

I tried:
tce-load -w -i cfdisk
tce-load -w -i util-linux-dev.tcz
tce-load -w -i util-linux.tcz
tce-load -w -i fdisk.tcz
and more and more and more...... Cannot run fdisk -l

can someone please give me some direction on what else I can do.

My appologies for the rookie question and many thanks in advance

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: cfdisk missing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 02:29:35 PM »
Hi Yuval711
Welcome to the forum.

When you run:
Code: [Select]
tce-load -w -i util-linux.tczDoes it succeed or report an error?

If it succeeded:
Sometimes the terminal you are working in doesn't realize
an extension added new commands. When this happens, you
can either run:
Code: [Select]
hash -ror open a new terminal.

Offline Yuval711

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 03:36:57 PM »
Hey Rich,

Thanks for getting back to me. I now realize that the util-linux is indeed install as I can run 'fdisk -l' and it does list a bunch of virtual mount points. I am running it on an ESX or VMware but not able to use the mouse at all. I'm forced to use the terminal through the GUI only.

However the Virtual HD is never being discovered. I try to run cfdisk /dev/sda. I keep getting the error

cfdisk: cannot open /dev/sda/: No such device or address.

Do you know why i get this message?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:15:29 PM »
Hi Yuval711
I've never used ESX or VMware. I run on bare metal.
I played with Qemu a couple of times:
https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26118.msg167676.html#msg167676
https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26290.msg169299.html#msg169299

Maybe some of the information in those 2 threads applies to ESX or VMware.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 06:32:43 PM »
@Yuval711: When setting up the virtual machine, be sure to configure the hard drive as IDE instead of SCSI - this makes life a lot easier for ESXi, TinyCore and for you.  As for the mouse, that should work right out of the box.  When setting up, choose LINUX - OTHER and be sure to enable USB2.0.  (Bare in mind, I have not done ESX and TC together for some time; memories may be a little rusty!)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 06:35:34 PM by CentralWare »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline gadget42

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 06:39:01 PM »
bare metal here but bear other ideas or thoughts in mind perhaps...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226582
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline Yuval711

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 06:18:48 AM »
Thank you all,

I found out that setting the HD to IDE instead of SCSI was the right answer... Although the keayboard/mouse still do not work, at the very least the HD is now being recognized!

@Yuval711: When setting up the virtual machine, be sure to configure the hard drive as IDE instead of SCSI - this makes life a lot easier for ESXi, TinyCore and for you.  As for the mouse, that should work right out of the box.  When setting up, choose LINUX - OTHER and be sure to enable USB2.0.  (Bare in mind, I have not done ESX and TC together for some time; memories may be a little rusty!)

@CentralWare - You were right! I appriciate everyone's help! - now on to Tshoot the Keaboad/mouse and I'm all set ;D ;D ;)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 07:51:09 PM »
@Yuval711: There are generally two ways to connect to a VM using ESX(i) - the web portal and the client "app."
Using the either interface (if you try one and it doesn't work, go to the other) when you arrive at the desktop, press <CTRL>+<ALT>+<BKSP> - the desktop should end and drop you at the command line interface.  IF SO, we know the keyboard is working through that portal.  If this fails using both portals, you'll want to look into the VM settings for apic, uhci and usb.  If you're running ESX (and not ESXi) it may be worthwhile to down-grade TinyCore (to around version 7.x or so) and test an older kernel; if the older one works I may have appropriate suggestions on how to tweak the old ESX to the newer technology.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair