WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is the repo server down?  (Read 2829 times)

Offline meo

Is the repo server down?
« on: September 02, 2023, 02:18:53 AM »
I have tried to make a fresh piCore install using the command: "tce-load -iw TC" that gives me an error message: "Connecting to repo.tinycore.net (128.127.66.77:80) wget: server returning error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found". Is the repository down? I've tried since last night local time (Sweden). // meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Is the repo server down?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 05:57:34 AM »
Hi meo
The repo is fine. If you are running aarch64, there does not appear
to be a TC.tcz extension.

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 07:59:02 AM »
Actually I was using aarch64 so the missing Tc.tcz was the problem. I updated the installation I had which I shouldn't have done. After thar it didn't start. Hence my efforts to make a fresh installatiion, Since the aarch64 didn't work I went with the 32 bit (14.0.1) instead. All worked and I was welcomed with a GUI. Since nothing has worked fine naturally I couldn't connect to the repo from that one either. I got some error message telling me to check the network connection etc. So now I'm posting this from Kali Linux on my Raspberry Pi 4 B 8 GB and I haven't got a clue what to do when it comes to piCore. Any thougts about this? // meo

PS Yes, I am a distro junkie. DS
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 08:19:03 AM »
Hi meo
TC.tcz is just a meta extension. All loading it does is load its dependencies.
Run the following for the same result:
Code: [Select]
tce-load -iw Xorg flwm_topside wbar aterm

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 10:20:37 AM »
Well now I'm running Gentoo Linux on my RPi. Will test your suggestion even though I have a GUI. The problem comes when I try to connect to the repo to install more extensions. // meo

Offline meo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 01:58:47 PM »
Hi Rich!

Thanks for trying to help an old man out with the installation of piCore! I Tried your suggestion on the install of piCore aarch64. Unfortunately the flvm_topside.tcz was also missing so it didn't work. I went back to the 32 bit piCore and finally got it setup. // meo

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 02:27:49 PM »
Hi meo
... Unfortunately the flvm_topside.tcz was also missing ...
Actually, it's spelled  flwm_topside.tcz , and I checked the TC14 aarch64
repo to make sure it was present before I posted:
http://tinycorelinux.net/14.x/aarch64/tcz/flwm_topside.tcz.info

Offline meo

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 02:34:55 AM »
You are quite right Rich! I'm really sorry for making this typo when copying your suggestion.  :( In other words "My bad". I'm very absintminded so again, I'm sorry! Just tried to install aarch64 and it went well and I got the GUI just the way it's supposed to be. Something went wrong later on. When installing ffmpeg onboot the screen went black. Don't have time to check this out right now but I'll get back to it. Thanks for your patience with an old absintminded man like me! // meo

Offline polikuo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 04:22:41 AM »
When installing ffmpeg onboot the screen went black.
I think graphics-KERNEL is the cause.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26363.0.html

Offline meo

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 05:23:05 AM »
I went with the 32bit version of the last piCore just to be sure that it will work. The problem I've had since making an update that made the whole system crash and then making a fresh install is that I can't play mp4 videos in Firefox anymore. I'll keep testing to see if I can make it work otherwise I'll use piCore as a lean mean info getting machine. Info I want to save I copy over to an usb drive. // meo

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2023, 08:13:51 AM »
If you’re using an RPi4 8GB then you might as well run piCore64 and Xorg-3d or wayland to take advantage of the 8gb and gpu acceleration.

In addition it looks like piCore has a problem when run on an RPi4 8gb with x11/wayland, which is being looked into.

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 08:35:09 AM »
If you have an 8GB board, using 32bit is just crippling the board anyway, as they have to do tricks to access all of the memory.

The symptom Juanito refers to is Xorg is getting killed due to the kernel running out of memory, when doing things that have lots of disk activity, like mounting extensions.

If you still want to use piCore 32bit, then for now, its best to turn your 8GB board into a 4GB board by adding
total_mem=4096  in the config.txt file.

Note: this does not impact headless systems that do not use Xorg

Offline meo

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2023, 09:13:41 AM »
Hi guys!

Actually I'm setting up piCore64 right now. How do I change from Xorg to Xorg-3d? I have already installed Xorg and I'm typing this from Firefox in that installation. Sure I want to take advantage of my RPi to the full. But then I need help to install Xorg-3d. // meo

Offline meo

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2023, 09:30:58 AM »
After thinking about it I guess that I have to make a new installation from the beginning. // meo

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 11:45:55 AM »
Just install Xorg-3d.tcz

Make sure your onboot.lst only has Xorg-3d.  Do not try to load both.

This is why we don’t recommend the TC.tcz extension anymore, there are too many combinations with raspberrypi hardware.