WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: instructions for installing please  (Read 16444 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: instructions for installing please
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
Hi Jail Bill Gates
That's because the operating system found a  /tce  directory and automatically mounted the partition (/dev/sda1) that
contained it. You don't need to mount it manually.

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
Hi JBG,
Sorry should have been as root
Code: [Select]
sudo rebootThat is what the "Operation not permitted" means, user TC does not have permission to use that command, only root.
Upon reboot or shut down and boot Core will automatically see the TCE directory and use it, mounting the first hard drive's first partition, no boot codes needed. Then try again.
ls /mnt/sda1/tce
This worked on my laptop and should work for you also.

If it is not working, we can try and figure out why.
Joe

I rebooted and tried the last command and hear is the resaults
https://ibb.co/w6DctfD

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »
You typed “mnt/sda1/tce” instead of “/mnt/sda1/tce”

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
No! I typed bough, have another look at it
the resault is show in purple and says "ondemand    /optional"

Offline corezoo

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
Hi JBG,
There is much progress being made! Already it is possible to access other computers on the internet, download and use tiny core extensions, and some persistence has been established so changes can be saved without duplicating previous efforts.

It is helpful to understand what is happening. Also interpreting the messages the OS is giving, even when errors occur, is critical.

When booting from the CD without an available /tce directory the only media usable was the CD which is not writable now that an ISO image was burned to that disc.

Using the live CD operating system to make the hard drive usable by issuing the "mount" command.
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1/This made the hard drive available for use. The next step was to create the /tce directory, that was done with the "mkdir" command.
sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/tceTiny Core OS will use that directory but it has to see it at boot time, so the reboot was needed.
sudo reboot
Now that the OS sees the /tce directory, the hard drive will automatically be mounted when the CD is booted. This is why the error message was displayed because the hard drive was already mounted when trying to mount it manually was attempted.

As can be seen by issuing the "ls" command.
ls /mnt/sda1/tceThis lists the items in that directory. Since booting from a read only media, the CD, only the /ondemand and /optional directories are available.
Now when using tce-ab, if OnDemand is used, the extensions will be saved to the /optional directory and a file to load that extension will be placed in the /ondemand directory. Therefore negating the need to download these extensions every time the OS is shut down and rebooted.

In addition if the command to backup the system is issued,
/usr/bin/filetool.sh -bthe contents of /home and /opt will be saved and a mydata.tgz file will be created in the /mnt/sda1/tce directory. Anything in those directories will be available again after a shutdown and/or reboot.     

It would be helpful if you could share your thoughts on what you expect to happen versus what is happening.

All the best,
Joe

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2021, 03:14:46 PM »
In addition if the command to backup the system is issued,
/usr/bin/filetool.sh -bthe contents of /home and /opt will be saved and a mydata.tgz file will be created in the /mnt/sda1/tce directory. Anything in those directories will be available again after a shutdown and/or reboot.     
https://ibb.co/88jW2nZ

It would be helpful if you could share your thoughts on what you expect to happen versus what is happening.
Would like to create a new partition on the hard drive for this O.S to run along side my current linux mint

Or format the hard drive and install this OS and partition it using mint, which ever is easyer because there is no data saved on the disk anyway

I would like to boot the OS from HDD1 and install programs link "links" to it

Offline corezoo

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 10:23:23 PM »
Would like to create a new partition on the hard drive for this O.S to run along side my current linux mint Or format the hard drive and install this OS and partition it using mint, which ever is easyer because there is no data saved on the disk anyway I would like to boot the OS from HDD1 and install programs link "links" to it

Hi JBG,
The best way to install Tiny Core depends on many factors.
How much of the first partition is used by Mint and how much is available for Tiny Core to use?
What is the total size of the hard drive?
Is Mint stored on a single partition or several?
Space permitting Core can easily be stored in a directory in the root of Mint without creating a new partition.
TCL is very flexible as to where it can be installed.

Also now that you have found CorePlus, it might be preferable to use than rather than Core.

Is the password to access the root account in Mint known to you?

I would consider it beneficial to keep Mint installed but keep it updated.

I believe it is easier to initially set this up in Mint using Gparted to set up a new partition and then copy the needed files for Core and edit the grub2 configuration in Mint, if a separate partition for TCL is desired or if it were to reside in a directory in Mint.
Modifying Mint's Grub2 to boot TCL is not difficult but is easier and for updating the boot loader needed to be done in Mint.

Joe

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2021, 06:42:17 PM »
Hi Joe

How much of the first partition is used by Mint and how much is available for Tiny Core to use? I dont know
What is the total size of the hard drive? 80GB
Is Mint stored on a single partition or several? single
Space permitting Core can easily be stored in a directory in the root of Mint without creating a new partition.
If that is easyer then I think we should go with that

Also now that you have found CorePlus, it might be preferable to use than rather than Core.
Think the OS is curup!

Is the password to access the root account in Mint known to you? yes

Offline corezoo

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2021, 08:35:10 PM »
Hi JBG,
Install instructions.
Boot into Mint and insert Core CD, click the "Ask what to do" box and choose "Open Folder" then click "OK".
In the left pane left click on "File System", in the right pane, right click on the empty space near the bottom and choose "open as root",
when prompted enter the password for root and click "Authenticate".

In the right pane right click the "tce" folder that was created before and choose delete, and confirm delete by clicking delete in the pop-up box.
This folder will be re-created.
In the right pane right click on any empty space and choose "Create New Folder". Name the folder "tcl" then press enter.
Double click on "tcl" to open that folder. Right click anywhere in the right pane and choose "Create New Folder". Name the folder "core11.1"then press enter.
Double click on "core11.1" and right click anywhere in the right pane and choose "Create New Folder". Name the folder "tce" then press enter.
In the left panel left click "core" under devices. In the right pane double click "boot".
Hold down the "ctrl" key and left click "core.gz" and then "vmlinuz", release "ctrl" key and right click either of the highlighted files and choose "copy".
In the left pane click "File System" then in the right pane double click "etc", then double click "tcl", then double click "core11.1".
Right click anwhere in the right pane and choose "paste". The two files, "core.gz" and "vmlinuz" should now appear there.
In the left pane click on "file system" then in the right pane double click "etc" to open that folder, double click on "grub.d" to open that folder.
Double click on the file "40_custom", chose display, insert the following after the last line:
submenu 'Tiny Core Linux' {
   menuentry 'Core 11.1' {
    linux /tcl/core11.1/vmlinuz tce=sda1/tcl/core11.1/tce
    initrd /tcl/core11.1/core.gz
 }
}
Save file and exit.
In the left pane click "file system" then in the right pane double click "etc", double click "default".
Double click the file "grub", not folder grub.d, find the line that says "Grub_Hidden_Timeout=0" and add an # before the "G".
This will allow the grub menu to be visible when grub starts.
It should look like this:
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0Save and exit.
Click the icon with ">_" at the bottom of the screen to open a terminal.
Type:
sudo update-grubPress the enter key and enter the root password when promted.
In the left pane, right click "Core" under devices and select eject and remove the CD.
Close all windows, click "menu" to shut down or reboot.

When the grub menu starts, use the down arrow key to highlight "Tiny Core Linux" and press enter
"Core11.1" should allready be highlighted since it is the only entry, press enter and Core should boot.

Don't forget "filetool.sh -b" before shutting done to save your files as it is not done automatically.
The downloaded extensions like "links" will be saved in the optional directory.

I am also attaching the text file I used to create this post.

All the best,
Joe

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2021, 11:45:06 AM »

In the right pane right click the "tce" folder that was created before and choose delete, and confirm delete by clicking delete in the pop-up box.
I managed to open it as a root (what ever that dose!)
But there is no tce folder (please see attachment)
There is only a isolinux and a core zipped folder. I do not want to delete them in fear of loosing data

https://ibb.co/Gfm4951

PS No! its a burnt CD, how can you delete data from it

I have just tried right clicking over the 3 items and non of them can be deleted; they are all grey scale
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:47:29 AM by Jail Bill Gates »

Offline corezoo

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2021, 08:23:32 PM »
After opening the CD in a folder, left click "File System" in the left pane. That will show the Mint root system. Looking at the screen shot I noticed there is an additional "File System" under devices that I do not have on my system. The "File System" that needs to be left clicked is the one under "My Computer".

Also since progress has been halted at this point, there is an error in the "40_custom" code it should have a trailing "/" after the final "tce".
The edited "40_custom" grub code is
submenu 'Tiny Core Linux' {
   menuentry 'Core 11.1' {
    linux /tcl/core11.1/vmlinuz tce=sda1/tcl/core11.1/tce/
    initrd /tcl/core11.1/core.gz
 }
}

This will keep those files in their own directory.
I will attach an edited text file.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:46:35 PM by corezoo »

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »
After opening the CD in a folder, left click "File System" in the left pane. That will show the Mint root system. Looking at the screen shot I noticed there is an additional "File System" under devices that I do not have on my system. The "File System" that needs to be left clicked is the one under "My Computer".
???
https://ibb.co/T1rXZjt

Offline corezoo

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2021, 08:47:38 PM »
Yes that is the Mint file system. Although not as root with elevated permissions.
Please try to follow the steps in order.
It also may be helpful to read through completely prior to performing the steps to get a feel for what is being attempted.
Care needs to be taken to ensure the correct outcome.
As can be seen when I failed to add the trailing "/", the result was different from what I had intended.

All the best,
Joe

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2021, 05:43:13 PM »

Offline corezoo

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2021, 08:49:56 PM »
Hi JBG,
/root is the home folder for the system administrator.
The path or the box to the right of the arrows is where in the file system the right pane is located.
The folder icon with the "/" is the root file system, all other folders and files are under that.
For example
/
 >etc
   >grub.d
     >40_custom

left clicking on the "File System" under "My Computer"  in between "Downloads" and "Rubbish Bin" will show the highest point in the filesystem hierarchy.
This screen shot shows the root filesystem where the "tcl" folder should be created. It is also where "etc" exists.
https://ibb.co/T1rXZjt
Hope this is some help.