WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: instructions for installing please  (Read 16445 times)

Offline Jail Bill Gates

Re: instructions for installing please
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »
Hi Jail Bill Gates
Maybe you weren't logged in to the forum? Posted attachments are only visible if you are logged in.
So it was!
https://ibb.co/f2DfxJx

The script and the file it produced should still be in your home directory.
How is that if I have rebooted the computer as it stores it to RAM?

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 02:03:58 PM »
Hi, Jail Bill Gates!

The script and the file it produced should still be in your home directory.
How is that if I have rebooted the computer as it stores it to RAM?

You are free to do anything with Your data :). In TinyCore saving Your data is provided by filetool.sh utility.
Code: [Select]
filetool.sh -b
will save Your /home and /opt (by default) in your current /etc/sysconfig/tcedir directory and during the next boot this data will be restored.
Have You read "Into The Core" book?

Offline corezoo

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2021, 09:35:24 PM »
If I remember correctly we were running Core off the cd and have Linux Mint on the hdd. We were trying to determine if the hdd was being mounted
when we got side tracked by the "am I on the internet" thread.
As far as I know we have not set up any persistence or determined if we could write to the hdd.
I believe Linux Mint was to remain and an attempt to dual boot with Core "installed" on the hdd also.

Awaiting more information,
Joe

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:52 PM »
Hi corezoo
If I remember correctly we were running Core off the cd and have Linux Mint on the hdd. We were trying to determine if the hdd was being mounted ...
When booting from a CD, Tinycore will not automatically mount any drives it finds. It will add them as entries to  /etc/fstab
so they show up in the MountTool (mnttool) application.

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2021, 07:49:48 PM »
So is it still possible to install it to HDD?

Offline corezoo

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 08:41:57 PM »
Hi Rich,
When booting from a CD, Tinycore will not automatically mount any drives it finds. It will add them as entries to  /etc/fstab
so they show up in the MountTool (mnttool) application.

I'm confused about how this works. Hopefully I am not taking this out of context from "Into the Core"
Mount mode
Unless specified with a boot code of tce=xdyz Tiny Core will
search all drives on the computer and use the first /tce directory it
finds for storing/loading extensions.

Backup/restore
If the restore code is not used, Tiny
Core will search for mydata.tgz in available root directories at boot.

If TCL searches all drives for a TCE directory and/or a mydata.tgz file, are the drives or partitions mounted and searched?
Can TCL search without mounting? Are they then umounted if no files are found?

As far as I can tell from the previous posts, no boot parameters (restore=sdx home=sdx) were passed at boot time. Do these parameters tell TC to mount that partition?

When shutting down from CLI (poweroff) is it necessary to issue a backup command or is it done automatically like the default shutdown from the GUI? Would not the partition have to be mounted?

I believe JBG wanted to do a hdd install. Would not the tc-install.sh clobber the Linux Mint grub boot loader? I think that Linux Mint was to be kept and TC dual booted.

Establishing a TCL directory that the CD could access seemed like a useful interim step without having to explain editing grub in Mint so the changes made there would not be wiped out when Mint updates.
If restore=sdX/somedirectory (possibly restore=sda/home/JBG/TCL/core11_1) if the file was first created on the Mint system, would provide some persistence. This could also provide a space for the kernel and initrd so once grub is reconfigured TC could be booted from the hdd. Space permitting.

There are a few ways to accomplish what is desired, a hdd "install", but I am not doing a very good job of explaining how to do that.(:-(

Joe

Offline corezoo

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2021, 09:02:32 PM »
Hi JBG,
So is it still possible to install it to HDD?

Yes it is possible. It is more of a choice as to how you do it.
If you intend to keep Mint, you would need to use the Mint installed boot loader, grub2, to boot TCL.

It would be necessary to find the 2 files, vmlinuz, that is the kernel, and core.gz, that is the initial RAM disk that contains the tiny core files.
These are on the cd and would have to be copied to the hard drive to start the process. Preferably in a directory (folder) so you will know where to find them.
There are more steps but it can be overwhelming in the beginning.

Configuring the boot loader in Mint could be tricky but is not too bad once you do it once or twice.(;-)

Joe

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:55 PM »
Hi corezoo
If TCL searches all drives for a TCE directory and/or a mydata.tgz file, are the drives or partitions mounted and searched?
Can TCL search without mounting? Are they then umounted if no files are found? ...
I don't know the answer off the top of my head. The  tce  directory does have to be in the drives root directory for that
to work though.

... As far as I can tell from the previous posts, no boot parameters (restore=sdx home=sdx) were passed at boot time. Do these parameters tell TC to mount that partition? ...
Yes.

... When shutting down from CLI (poweroff) is it necessary to issue a backup command or is it done automatically like the default shutdown from the GUI? Would not the partition have to be mounted? ...
Yes, it is necessary to run a backup. There is no backup/restore when booting from a CD. When installed to writable
media, the drive containing  mydata.tgz  is already mounted.

... I believe JBG wanted to do a hdd install. Would not the tc-install.sh clobber the Linux Mint grub boot loader? I think that Linux Mint was to be kept and TC dual booted. ...
If you tell it to install to whole drive or install boot loader, I would say yes.

Offline corezoo

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2021, 09:42:10 PM »
Hi Rich,
The  tce  directory does have to be in the drives root directory for that
to work though.

Ok so when running off the CD it only looks at that drive, the CD, and a boot parameter would definitely be needed to use the hdd.
Hence the distinction between CDE and TCE.
I have used the tce=UUID=somelongstringofnumbersandletters/tcl/tce (I am not sure if the trailing tce is necessary) but the tce would have to be in the root directory to automatically find it if restore=UUID=.../ or restore=sdxy were used.
I would guess restore=sdxy/home/user/tcl/tce could work also?
I was trying help JBG have a place to save the output of TCscan.sh BTW thanks for creating that utility.
It has been so long since I booted off a CD it's hard to remember the details.(;-)

Joe

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Hi corezoo
If you do not specify  tce=  then the system searches the root of each partition and uses the first one found.

This:
tce=UUID="543cac60-3224-4cab-b1d5-008407dd9ce8"and this:
tce=UUID="543cac60-3224-4cab-b1d5-008407dd9ce8"/tcemeans look for a directory called  tce  in the root of the partition with that UUID.

This:
tce=UUID="543cac60-3224-4cab-b1d5-008407dd9ce8"/tce64means look for a directory called  tce64  in the root of the partition with that UUID. This allows you to use a name
other than  tce.

This:
tce=UUID="543cac60-3224-4cab-b1d5-008407dd9ce8"/tcl/appsmeans look for a  tce  directory called  apps  in the  /tcl  directory of the partition with that UUID.

... I would guess restore=sdxy/home/user/tcl/tce could work also? ...
Only if that's a persistent directory. When booting from a CD the /home directory is in RAM and not persistent.

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 04:53:20 PM »

Yes it is possible. It is more of a choice as to how you do it.
If you intend to keep Mint, you would need to use the Mint installed boot loader, grub2, to boot TCL.

It would be necessary to find the 2 files, vmlinuz, that is the kernel, and core.gz, that is the initial RAM disk that contains the tiny core files.
These are on the cd and would have to be copied to the hard drive to start the process. Preferably in a directory (folder) so you will know where to find them.
There are more steps but it can be overwhelming in the beginning.

Configuring the boot loader in Mint could be tricky but is not too bad once you do it once or twice.(;-)

Joe
Which is easyer? doing it in mint or off of the CD?

Offline corezoo

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2021, 08:07:06 PM »
Hi JBG,
Sorry for the delay.
I found a DVD from a magazine with Linux Mint 18.3 and installed it to my older laptop. Also burned the core iso to a cd. This way I can follow what you are doing and hopefully be more useful in posting.

First off is the Mint issue.
Do you intend to keep and use Mint, keep it updated?
Do you know the password, can you access the root account?
In order to install Tiny Core along side Mint it would be necessary to boot from Mint. This would require editing Grub2 in Mint as root.

It is possible to boot off the CD and have some persistence, retaining your changes, this is very basic and others here may have a better way of doing this.

Boot the CD

Mount the hard drive, which I am guessing is sda1, the first partition of the first disk.
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
create a directory called "tce".
sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce
reboot
check to make sure it worked.
ls /mnt/sda1/tce
There should now be items in the directory and the hard drive was mounted automatically during boot.
Changes made in the home directory, /home/tc and the opt directory, /opt can be saved before shut down.

When a program is downloaded using the app browser, tce-ab, choose on-demand so it can be saved to the tce directory.

The system will not issue a prompt to back the system as it does from the GUI. So it is essential to remember to do that manually.
To backup the system before shutting down.

filetool -b
I believe this will automatically restore saved data but would have to do more testing to confirm this.

I can walk you through installing to the hard drive and editing Mint to dual boot, as I did that today on my laptop.
If you intend to stay with the command line interface, it would be helpful to become familiar with the basic shell
commands like ls , cp , cd , etc. There are many resources on the internet for that.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 11:42:20 AM »
Hi JBG,
Sorry for the delay.
I found a DVD from a magazine with Linux Mint 18.3 and installed it to my older laptop. Also burned the core iso to a cd. This way I can follow what you are doing and hopefully be more useful in posting.

First off is the Mint issue.
Do you intend to keep and use Mint, keep it updated?
Do you know the password, can you access the root account?
In order to install Tiny Core along side Mint it would be necessary to boot from Mint. This would require editing Grub2 in Mint as root.

It is possible to boot off the CD and have some persistence, retaining your changes, this is very basic and others here may have a better way of doing this.

Boot the CD

Mount the hard drive, which I am guessing is sda1, the first partition of the first disk.
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
create a directory called "tce".
sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce
reboot
check to make sure it worked.
ls /mnt/sda1/tce

Nothing has happened!
https://ibb.co/vZ04p7p

Offline corezoo

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 09:21:38 PM »
Hi JBG,
Sorry should have been as root
sudo rebootThat is what the "Operation not permitted" means, user TC does not have permission to use that command, only root.
Upon reboot or shut down and boot Core will automatically see the TCE directory and use it, mounting the first hard drive's first partition, no boot codes needed. Then try again.
ls /mnt/sda1/tce
This worked on my laptop and should work for you also.

If it is not working, we can try and figure out why.
Joe

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
for some reason it wont take the first command this time
https://ibb.co/zQNP8KQ