WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xvesa rebuild problem  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Glor

Xvesa rebuild problem
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »
Hi. I'm trying to rebuild Xvesa (i need to make some minor source changes).
I'm using: tinycore2.0, downloaded XFree-4.3.0-Xvesa-src.tar.gz (found somewhere on tc ftp). Build fails (missing asm/io.h header). Kernel headers tce installed. Tried to add arch/x86/include to search pass (along with /usr/src/linux/include) and got big pack of errors. Can somebody help?

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
Re: Xvesa rebuild problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »
Hold off on trying until I post the source and the patch I used to build Xvesa with.  It is Xfree-4.8.0 with a patch to correct the mouse scroll issue that is present in the vanilla build.  I will upload the source, patch, and a build parameters that will reproduce the binary that is in base.  I will post a link to the source directory when I upload it.

Xfree-4.3.0 is too old to build on current TC, and even when I was able to produce a "successful" build on another system there were many issues with the resulting Xvesa.  

Offline Glor

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:52:18 AM »
Hold off on trying until I post the source and the patch I used to build Xvesa with.  It is Xfree-4.8.0 with a patch to correct the mouse scroll issue that is present in the vanilla build.  I will upload the source, patch, and a build parameters that will reproduce the binary that is in base.  
I will post a link to the source directory when I upload it.
waiting impatiently !  :)

Xfree-4.3.0 is too old to build on current TC, and even when I was able to produce a "successful" build on another system there were many issues with the resulting Xvesa.  
I've just compiled it  :)

Code: [Select]
in hw/kdrive/vga.c

asm/io.h  -> sys/io.h

in hw/kdrive/vesa/vm86.c
#include <asm/processor_flags.h>
IF_MASK->X86_FLAGS_IF
IOPL_MASK ->X86_FLAGS_IOPL

(may be usefull for somebody)

Will test now if it will be usefull for my application. Anyway, looking forward for your new version. May be you can share some not-so-shiny snapshot or something?

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »
With Xfree 4.3.0 there is the virtual terminal switching issue, incorrect mouse scrolling, and in imaging issue that affects the overlay of images.  I only mention this to save you some time.  I did manage to fix the virtual terminal thing when trying 4.3.0 by backporting a patch but the image stuff was still amiss. 

The only issue in 4.8.0 is the incorrect mouse scrolling, so it is a much better starting point.  I will try to upload the stuff tonight when I get home as it should be available in the source directory.

What are you needing to accomplish with a different Xvesa build anyway if I may ask?

Offline Glor

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
simply turn off ctr+alt+backspace :)
rebuilding Xvesa is the only way i've found

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »
Actually the Xtrlock extension does the same thing with a command by disabling the keys.  Also locks ctrl-alt-del I believe.  The commands are in the /usr/local/bin/xtrlock wrapper.  One could add those commands to the .xsession file to achieve the same result I think.  I am at work now and can't test it though.  

EDIT: Actually it only disables the ctrl keys when xtrlock is activated.  Commands may not work for what you are wanting to do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:26:21 AM by Jason W »

Offline Glor

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »
have you uploaded new Xvesa sources somewhere? Could not find them tonight :(

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »
I haven't even left work yet.  I will try for tonight but I won't promise as I want to make sure the patch and the resulting build are correct.  I will post a link to the source directory when I upload it. 

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »
The source, patch, and build script for Xvesa is uploaded to:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tce/src/XFree86-4.8.0/