WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: keyboard in xorg.conf doesn't load at boot  (Read 4421 times)

Offline ramonvaldezz

keyboard in xorg.conf doesn't load at boot
« on: December 19, 2015, 07:42:15 PM »
I'm a total newbie (3-days and something...) in Linux world, coming from Window$.
I'm running Corepure64 from USB stick, created via Core2usb using the official .iso file.
I want to configure an italian keyboard. This is what i done so far:
1 - create a xorg.conf file in /usr/local/share/X11/
Code: [Select]
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbLayout" "it"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

2 - add the /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf to .filetool.lst via ControlPanel - Backup/Restore for persistance.
I checked on reboot, the file is here with its content, so far so good.
3 - but when i boot, the keyboard is still US
4 - if i exit to prompt, then
Code: [Select]
startx
the keyboard is the one in xorg.conf file!
So, it seems that at boot time the xorg.conf file is not loaded, or that something overwrites its content.
So far I installed via Apps, both OnBoot:

- kmaps
- firefox

I read a lot of posts on keyboard settings, but still I can't figure out what is happening.
Thank you.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: keyboard in xorg.conf doesn't load at boot
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 08:33:19 PM »
Xorg conf files go in /etc/X11 or /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Offline ramonvaldezz

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »
Xorg conf files go in /etc/X11 or /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
I tried, but it doesn't work.
Maybe is not a problem of file position, because if I exit to prompt and restart the GUI with startx my xorg.conf file is correctly load (the keyboard layout is italian): basically X can find and load my file, at least when i do startx.
The problem is on boot.
Is it possible that on boot my xorg.conf is not loaded?
Or that another keyboard configuration is loaded after my xorg.conf, turning the keyboard layout to the standard US?
I also tried to change /etc/sysconfig/keymap from KEYMAP=us to KEYMAP=it, but without success.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:00:43 PM by ramonvaldezz »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
Your keyboard config file needs to be loaded before X starts - if you added the file to your backup, things should "just work" after re-boot.

I also would have thought that the xorg evdev driver would automatically detect your keyboard without a config file - does /var/log/Xorg.0.log give any clues as to what is happening?

Offline ramonvaldezz

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:36:12 AM »
Your keyboard config file needs to be loaded before X starts - if you added the file to your backup, things should "just work" after re-boot.

I also would have thought that the xorg evdev driver would automatically detect your keyboard without a config file - does /var/log/Xorg.0.log give any clues as to what is happening?

I don't have that log file...that's why I cannot even check what is going on. I start thinking the core2usb thing is not working as espected. Burning a USB key with pure 64 ISO file from using a 32 bit core plus could be a nice try?