WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: mplayer  (Read 6445 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
mplayer
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:15:16 AM »
Hello,

Does anybody know of an "mplayer-no-deps" command that will stream a youtube video from the tool
called "youtube-dl". If so, please can you tell it to me.

Recently my "mps-youtube" tool no longer works right for watching youtube videos....neither does "minitube" from the repo. They both report variuos faults that seem somewhat involved. I have spent quite some time trying to get both of them working right..... and was close but not complete.

I only want to watch videos in 3gp format since by using the extra mplayer switch "-zoom" the video seems more than acceptable to me on a full laptop screen while only requiring 30 megabytes of downloading per HOUR of youtube documentary etc. (regular 360p videos in the default youtube format require 230 megs per hour)

There are several "youtube clone" web sites for grabbing the familiar ".3gp" cell phone format of any youtube
videos from any topics you search. (Waptiny).....but instead i use the "youtube-dl" tool to download the 3gp file of any video residing at the proper youtube website. (the link of that video)

sudo youtube-dl -f 17 "the url of the video from the youtube site"

I experimented for a long while with google opinions on streaming youtube via mplayer but non of those ideas seemed to work. Mplayer seemed to correctly start up but complained it did not have the right video decoder equal to what was being demanded of it by the youtube link. If you killed that attempt you could always see a quik blink of the video window then end. So it was certainly trying, but it wasn't displaying the video window. The methods i used off of google concerned STDIN and i think this is why mplayer was not displaying the video window. I never tried these same methods with the regular mplayer.....only mplayer-no-deps.

thanks

V

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:16:59 AM by cast-fish »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: mplayer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »
with the switches "-zoom" and "-fs" it seems that mplayer will play .3gp video files at acceptable full screen quality to me.

edited

V

Offline pq5190362

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:28:32 AM »
Does anybody know of an "mplayer-no-deps" command that will stream a youtube video from the tool called "youtube-dl". If so, please can you tell it to me.

mpv (https://mpv.io/), which is a fork of MPlayer and mplayer2, and has recently been added to the Tiny Core Linux 6.x x86_64 repo, can do this.

mpv uses youtube-dl to play YouTube videos directly (youtube-dl needs to be installed of course).

To do this, you simply need to open the YouTube URL with mpv, like this:

Code: [Select]
mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz-KE-bpKQ
 ;)

You can also specify the youtube-dl format (if you don't like youtube-dl's default format setting), see:

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-ytdl

So, in your case:

mpv --ytdl-format=17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz-KE-bpKQ
PS:

Since youtube-dl does not seem to be available in the Tiny Core Linux repos, I have requested it to be added, see:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,19134.0.html

Regards
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:54:34 AM by pq5190362 »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
Youtube-dl is likely not in the repos because Youtube TOS forbids downloading.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
really?

so all the worlds oceans of browser extensions for downloading youtube vids are illegal?........including apps like youtube-dl........so why do google
and other such large corps host those extensions in their own global store?

anyhow........ what i don't understand about the MPV idea is surely the video is still being downloaded?...since MPV is using a pipe
from youtube-dl        (so the video still ends up on your HDD?)

i wanted a pure streaming method that didn't leave a final video file lying around on your machine...... or in your cache maybe

anyhow,can MPV be simply installed into TCL via git?........similar to how "youtube-dl" was installed?

V

Offline pq5190362

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
Youtube-dl is likely not in the repos because

And then why is youtube-dl available in the Ubuntu repository, Debian repository, Arch Linux repository and so on..., see for example:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=youtube-dl&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=youtube-dl&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&arch=any&q=youtube-dl

?

;)

anyhow........ what i don't understand about the MPV idea is surely the video is still being downloaded?...since MPV is using a pipe
from youtube-dl        (so the video still ends up on your HDD?)

i wanted a pure streaming method that didn't leave a final video file lying around on your machine...... or in your cache maybe

youtube-dl actually seems to have an option for this, see youtube-dl's README, quote:

-s, --simulate                   Do not download the video and do not write
                                 anything to disk

And mpv seems to be using it in some way, see the following discussion for example:

https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/7289

;)

anyhow,can MPV be simply installed into TCL via git?........similar to how "youtube-dl" was installed?

As already mentioned in the previous post, mpv is already available in the Tiny Core Linux 6.x x86_64 repo, see:

http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/tcz/mpv.tcz.info

;)

Regards
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:45:55 PM by pq5190362 »

Offline pq5190362

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
PS:

According to the comment from @ChrisK2 in the youtube-dl GitHub issue #7289, mpv actually seems to be using the following simulation option:

-J, --dump-single-json           Simulate, quiet but print JSON information
                                 for each command-line argument. If the URL
                                 refers to a playlist, dump the whole
                                 playlist information in a single line.

;)

Regards
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:12:24 PM by pq5190362 »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
ahh thanks pq

shame i don't have a 64 bit computer here.  (to use TCL 6.x (64 bit) and mpv extension)

Still, there are other reasons why i asked you the questions above.

Currently i will continue with my "adhoc" youtube method ............since it works and it's fast.

It does surprise me that 3GP youtube videos are almost 10 times smaller data traffic than regular youtube while acceptable quality at full screen
............ it seemed difficult to justify the regular data guzzling default format that youtube offers.

The mobile youtube webpage  (m.youtube.com) always sends you the 3GP stream of any movie........and it plays the movie on cell phone mobile browsers.(i mean the older cell phones that are j2me midlet type cell phones.......)

The URLS for any movie coming from the *mobile youtube site* are in the form......  rtsp://some movie...........
since that is a mobile cell streaming protocol.....(rtsp) and that's how the cell phones media player grabs the 3GP stream and plays the movie.

VLC can stream this cell phone protocol "rtsp://" directly......so you can watch 3GP styled youtube videos directly on the x86 desktop
by streaming them to VLC ...........you just need the url of the movie   (10 times less data than a regular youtube video in a regular browser)

You just need to get hold of the movie URL...................your cell phone will show that URL and i expect you can parse them from numerous
youtube clone web sites

it seems youtube-dl does NOT reveal the "url's" to you.   It lists ALL the formats from which you can choose from, to download  a particular movie ..........but does it list the actual URL as it's downloading the format you have chosen?

V

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:21:42 PM by cast-fish »

Offline pq5190362

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »
shame i don't have a 64 bit computer here.  (to use TCL 6.x (64 bit) and mpv extension)

Unfortunately Juanito did not build a 32-bit extension, see following post:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16246.msg116904.html#msg116904

;)

it seems youtube-dl does NOT reveal the "url's" to you.   It lists ALL the formats from which you can choose from, to download  a particular movie ..........but does it list the actual URL as it's downloading the format you have chosen?

RTFM  :P :

-g, --get-url                    Simulate, quiet but print URL

Also:

https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#i-extracted-a-video-url-with--g-but-it-does-not-play-on-another-machine--in-my-webbrowser

By the way, for mpv there would be a handy Firefox add-on, see:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/watch-with-mpv/

Regards
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:49:30 PM by pq5190362 »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
right pq

that is all nice. Maybe the firefox extension you listed is worth a look and hooking it up with mplayer and youtube dl. 

currently i am just trying to discover how to get the RTSP url from any youtube video.....since that may stream in mplayer

the "3gp" url  (in the form........rtsp://some movie.3gp.........)

See "youtube-dl" gives you the download url........not a stream url.........(whatever it gives you can't be played or streamed by mplayer)

Thx

V

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
really?
so all the worlds oceans of browser extensions for downloading youtube vids are illegal?
That appears a misleading question..    Accessing content via their embedded player is significantly different from downloading content.   Their service is provided to access and view the content, not to download it unless that feature is provided as specified in 'TOS Section 5 subpart B' which allows for the downloading of video ONLY and specifically if a "download link" is provided for that content, I believe a download link would be a rare case scenario.  Otherwise downloading of content is definitely prohibited.   

My interpretation of section 4 subpart C goes further..,  in as much as viewing their content in a player other than their provided service or their provided embedded player, or unless authorized is also prohibited..

It seems to me, again it's just my interpretation;  we may use a browser to view content directly from their service, or via their embedded player, or unless designated otherwise not at all..

It would be to our benefit to find the list of approved alternate designated technology to view content, so far I can't find that list..

Just saying....

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
Providing software to illegally download Youtube content would place Tinycore in a legally indefensible position should it be sued. IANAL.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
not sure Gerald.

That fact that a dev or dev teams create tools empowering any user of that tool to d/l  content, is not, in itself illegal. right.

So i am not sure where Google stand on it......since oceans of those DL tools are offerred up from Google's own Chrome store. Google own the Youtube service so it seems odd in some way.....they clearly know all these tools exist and support them so?

it so happens that i don't want to D/L content anyhow Gerald........on the contrary, i want to save said servers from pumping out large heavy files when much lighter files do a similar job. Google should consider a 3GP feed on the desktop youtube service in persuite of their own ends. x86 ARM.......... maybe

hmm

V

Offline patrikg

• Wiki Author
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 05:06:35 AM »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »
Pat

uh no....but looked at it