WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: bluetooth  (Read 7330 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
bluetooth
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »
Hello

Here, TCL 4.3.1 is running on my laptop from a virgin boot from CD.

After looking into bluetoothe ....my cell phone finds the laptops blue toothe USB dongle and they PAIR and it reports that the Linux box "device" only supports OPP and FTP bluetooth services.

But i also see that the TCL extension called "blueman manager" offers options for connecting via
the DUNP bluetooth service...(dial up networking)  for tethering and web surfing on laptops.

but i am wondering why my handset  "thinks" the Linux box (laptop) only
supports the OPP and FTP bluetooth services.... and does not mention the DUNP bluetooth service?

In summary, do TCL laptops connected over bluetooth support the DUNP bluetooth service for internet modem surfing?

thanks

V
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:05:57 AM by cast-fish »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:01:44 AM »
Hi

it seems from the few posts i searched in this forum here about Bluetooth

when they compile a version of Bluez for tinycore there are switch options for bluetooth services
you want included......

for example...to compile it with the PAN service it's  --enable-pand   

presumably for including the DUND service it would need the compiling switch of --enable-dund.....which i don't believe Bluez 4.101  (in TCL 4.3.1) has been compiled that way

so

V

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:45:26 AM »
Hi cast-fish
presumably for including the DUND service it would need the compiling switch of --enable-dund.....which i don't believe Bluez 4.101  (in TCL 4.3.1) has been compiled that way
Looking in the files tap of Apps, I see there is a file called  /usr/local/bin/dund  which suggests it might support dial up.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
see http://tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/src/bluez/compile_bluez

At one point I used a mobile phone to connect to the Internet via bluetooth from a laptop running tc, but that was a long time ago (before the local telco blocked internet tethering).

You could check if all required kernel modules (bnep.ko?) are loaded and if some sort of bluetooth.conf or network.conf is required for this to work.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:30:57 AM by Juanito »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:37:54 PM »
Right Rich and Juanto.

well it clearly shows in your link that "dund" was indeed an aspect of compiling. Therefor it must be supported
in the Bluez 4.101 tcl extension.

STill, by default, tinycore app browser only explains how to use some particular profiles like the bluetoothe
OPP/FTP profile. I already know how to make FTP work and it does work. THe laptop sends a file to the
phone handset over BlueT.

The profile i want to use is "dund' and i need to work out how to do it. This will allow me to web surf on the
laptop from a "Bluetoothe connected cell phone" delivering 3G world wide web internet link....

on win32 this "dund' is the default approach that they make with the Blue Toothe stack. It simply works
right out of the box for internet tethering. Seems that's not the case with the Linux blue toothe stack.

i will read the web to try to discover it....but it really should be a simple job indeed. Surprisingly, that does not
seem to be the case

V

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:14:50 AM »
My laptop appears to be too recent to boot tc-4.x to test.

In tc-6.x blueman segfaults when I try to set an iPhone as an Internet connection - this could be because the blueman project has just been restarted and is still in alpha, or because the telco here blocks Internet tethering/personal hotspot or because iPhones are not linux friendly...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:01 AM »
I also tried using gnome on tc-6.x x86_64...

After I pair, set "set your mobile phone as a network device (PAN/NAP)" to "yes" and hit connect, the blue "personal hotspot" line appears at the top of the iPhone screen and "Personal Hotspot: 1 Connection" flashes for a while before disappearing.

I'd say this means things would work, but are blocked by the local telco.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 02:16:52 AM »
yes Juanto

it will be possible.....but i am unsure how to proceed with DUND.

I mean you can search the web and stuff but the explanations for arch get
quite involved.

i figured most people use bluetoothe to a Laptop for "tethering" a 3G web signal
and also for transferring files (but they often transfer files just using an SDcard....)

So what other uses does bluetoothe to a laptop have?...well sound-Headsets ofcourse.

BUt otherwise.....Why have Linux and Bluez not sorted out DUND and PAND by default or explained to users how to do this as a standard?..web internet tethering?

There is  very little else you would want to do with a cell phone BlueToothe over to a laptop....Sure Bluetoothe can have up to 24 services embedded in the handset chip...but who really uses these when linking a cell phone to a laptop?

V

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:17:17 AM »
I'd suggest trying to get things working in tc-4.x with blueman.

Use blueman to pair your laptop with your phone and then right click on the phone in the blueman display and choose "network access point" or similar (I don't remember exactly what it's called).

Once the above is done (i.e. bluez is configued for networking), you need to use a network utility to make the connection - a ppp script, wicd or similar.

As mentioned above (albeit in tc-6.x x86_64) I used gnome-bluetooth and network-manager-applet, so you could perhaps try network-manager-gnome in tc-4.x.

BTW I use bluetooth mostly with headphones and headset (skype), but you can also (for example) set your phone as an audio source and play music through your laptop speakers. Other possibilites are to use bluetooth speakers and (I didn't try) use a TV as a display.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »
Hello,

yeah....really did try most things many times.

It simply gives an error message saying that a DUND connection was attempted but
that the connection failed.  Like you say, it's a network connection but there isn't anything
obviouse in Blueman showing you *how* to make that connection system.

it's ok juanto...it was just a stop gap web connection incase my DSL failed. That is highly
unlikely to ever fail indeed. Same line and company for over 8 years....but still.

really it was just a hobby interest and my Win32 DUND feature is down right now.....since
the windows distro isnt the type with a bluetoothe stack in it.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:01:50 PM »
Juanto

just in the very distant past of my memory banks i recall that the cell handset must
have a special code and procedure done before your network knows you want to
tether a DUND connection on that handset.

It was detailed on the web and pretty easy to find the code sequence for my network
registration for DUND

so although moons ago i correctly arranged this handset for DUND....that was over

6 months ago and the handset has been messed with a great deal since then....
although it's unlikely to have lost these settings....it's possible that a network chron
job or something runs to disable the tethering feature on your number if the bandwidth
monitors don't show that the data passed by the handset ever construed to be
internet activities.....(this is a long shot but certainly possible)...

a long shot but possible....because the error m essage does say that it can't gain a
network connection over BlueT....but it could be compounded error message meaning
there isn't actually an auxillary 3G tethering network active...

hmmm

Thanks

V

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 08:38:05 AM »
I finally got this to work with gnome-session and networkmanager in corepure64 - at present this is a fork separate from the blueman git master, but I'll post the updated blueman extension once it gets into master

See screenshot proof - with an iPhone using 4G it was quite quick...

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »
oh right........

it hope it wasn't a nightmare.  It's always handy to have it since this type of browsing is real real
cheap here. Almost free.

Not sure about you on 4G.....here it's 3G....but pretty fast.

Vince.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 04:48:16 AM »
Just in case it's useful, here's the networkmanager configuration file, automatically generated by network-manager-applet (including the spaces in the file name), which might enable it to be used outside of a gnome environment:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo cat /usr/local/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*
[connection]
id=juanito iPhone Network
uuid=62c7494c-ed85-457e-8d6d-4eb85491155b
type=bluetooth
autoconnect=false

[bluetooth]
bdaddr=54:E4:3A:22:48:E9
type=panu

[ipv6]
method=auto

[ipv4]
method=auto
may-fail=false

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »
right Juanito...

uh currently i am not right onto bluetoothe here......but certainly i will keep these threads because it may certainly be needed here at some point.   

You see my old method for BlueT was using win32 and it just worked.
However since then, my newer win32 version is a cut back version without a BlueT stack.

That's why i started messing with TCL and bluetoothe in the first place....since my win32 appraoch no longer worked.

so

thanks

Vince