WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny core manual DNS setup  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Cuba-IT-Support

Tiny core manual DNS setup
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »
I'm very much a newbie when it comes to linux and TC Linux. We purchased some medical carts from salvage that have everything built into the monitors. We installed TC on them. We've managed to figure out how to install it, connect it to our wireless network, make it all stick after rebooting. Finally we using a script PCTSC.Setup.sh to point it to a Windows XP VM using RDP. When the cart boots up TC boots up to a point then RDP kicks in and the Windows XP desktop appears.

We have a need enter three DNS entries into the wireless setup but cannot figure out where to do it. Can anyone direct us to where we would add the DNS entries? there is a need to use manual DNS for a while during a domain switch If the VM is joined to another domain the curent TC setup can't find it. I need fairly specific instructions (Newbie)
Anyone? 

Offline Cuba-IT-Support

Re: Tiny core manual DNS setup
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
I'm going to elaborate on my previous question. We've figured out that by editing etc/hosts and adding the machine we are trying to reach, we can ping it by name, which should work. But after rebooting, the edit of the host file is gone. how do we make that stick? If we can make it stick then the addition of DNS entries may not be required.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
Hi Cuba-IT-Support
You could try having your  /opt/bootlocal.sh  script append your entries to  /etc/hosts  file:
Code: [Select]
echo entry >> /etc/hosts

Offline Cuba-IT-Support

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »
I did just that. I kept digging and finally found this: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,13254.msg73838.html
Problem is solved!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
Hi Cuba-IT-Support
Glad I could help. Thanks for searching and finding my previous solution.