WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: The free Foxit pdf viewer works in TC 2.0rc1  (Read 5325 times)

Offline mcewanw

The free Foxit pdf viewer works in TC 2.0rc1
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »
Though the new Linux version of the free and fast Foxit pdf viewer didn't work in TC version 1.2 when I tried it, I have since started using TC version 2.0rc1 and FoxitReader works great in that!

Download from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/download.html

I haven't made an extension for it though (never tried to make such a thing as yet...).

To use:

1. I simply downloaded the latest .tar.bz2 version of FoxitReader from the above site.

2. Extracted the tar.bz2 into its own directory, in persistent storage, which I called foxitreader.

3. Opened a terminal and simple entered:
Code: [Select]
cd [the path to the new foxit reader directory]
./FoxitReader &

The download is less than 4 MBytes and the program seems to be way better than epdfview.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:01:57 PM by mcewanw »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: The free Foxit pdf viewer works in TC 2.0rc1
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »
I haven't made an extension for it though (never tried to make such a thing as yet...).

for non-free extensions you'll have to make a script that downloads the file and installs it, unless the foxit people give you permission to redistribute it. this is done with skype and flash.

The download is less than 4 MBytes and the program seems to be way better than epdfview.

an opinion you're certainly entitled to. personally speaking a program is automatically inferior by my standards if i can't legally make copies of it for friends, or even mirror it online. and that's not even taking into account the i-can-look-at-the-source and i'm-allowed-to-modify-it issues.

also a personal opinion, epdfview gets points for being less than 4mb.

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:51:30 AM »
for non-free extensions you'll have to make a script that downloads the file and installs it, unless the foxit people give you permission to redistribute it. this is done with skype and flash.

Personally, I wasn't thinking of making an extension for it anyway. I just thought some others might find the program useful. I do note, however, from comments on the Puppy linux forum that they have been in touch with the developers, whom, I infer, seem to be quite happy at Puppy providing a dotpet of the product to their users (indeed Foxit software mention on their official website that their pdf reader is being used successfully by Puppy).

. . . the program seems to be way better than epdfview.

an opinion you're certainly entitled to. personally speaking a program is automatically inferior by my standards if i can't legally make copies of it for friends, or even mirror it online. and that's not even taking into account the i-can-look-at-the-source and i'm-allowed-to-modify-it issues.

Many would agree with you, i'm sure, though I'm not much of a purist when it comes to such matters. Of course, it is nigh on impossible to ultimately trust any software which isn't open source; such software is only useful for as long as it is supported and works (I make no ethical judgement otherwise, except to comment that I believe that we all deserve to be able to make a living somehow - even programmers... I doubt many purely open source programmers manage that), but for now I am happy to use Foxit Reader in preference to the other possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:14:48 AM by mcewanw »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:01:29 AM »
It would be good to have Foxit as a fetch-it script or a self contained extension if it is allowed.  It crashed on me trying to read their own manual, I had Xorg/Gtk2 installed and ldd indicated nothing missing but very little time to troubleshoot.  A known .dep file woule make it easy for all to use.

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:17:10 AM »
I have gtk2, but I'm not using Xorg; just default Xvesa.

I haven't had time to test the program much myself; I'll see if I can read their manual with it tomorrow!

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:49:41 AM »
[Foxit] crashed on me trying to read their own manual, I had Xorg/Gtk2 installed and ldd indicated nothing missing but very little time to troubleshoot

I downloaded the manual and I've been reading it in the Foxit viewer now for quite a while. No crashes so far; maybe I'm just lucky and haven't hit the right button yet! I like the program though; used to use it in the bad old Window's days (W98, W2000Pro, XP) as a vast improvement to slow and clunky Adobe Reader. If they keep it lean and clean, I'm happy (and keep their business going through selling their Pro and pdf editor offerings). I suggest you ask them if you can produce a tce/tcz from it since it is all good exposure to their products more generally; from their response to Puppy use, I can't imagine a problem.

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:59:54 AM »
I have a vague recollection that someone on Puppy said that it has crashed when not run with 24 bit colour mode, but on a quick check I couldn't find the relevant post.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »
I always use Xvesa at 800x600x16 so the 24 bit color may be the issue. 

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »
I just thought some others might find the program useful.

you may be correct, and i never have any problem with download scripts being made for just that reason (even if i did it's not up to me, but i don't.)

I believe that we all deserve to be able to make a living somehow - even programmers...

i believe this too, although i don't think that premise depends on freeware being something you're not allowed to redistribute. but then as you said, the puppy community was you believe given some kind of permission? that's cool. me i'm a purist compared to some people, although next to stallman i'm probably nothing but an appeaser who uses evil things like adobe flash! (even if i have to hold my nose to use it.)

i hope someone makes your extension though, and it seems likely enough. (so long as no one wants internet explorer as a tce! ooh, the thought even...)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »
A quote from the Foxit EULA:

Code: [Select]
5. REDISTRIBUTION: User can redistribute Foxit Reader under this agreement
under the condition that User agrees not to redistribute Foxit Reader on mobile
 devices or embedded devices including cellular phones, PDA’s, and all other
handheld devices.

It appears legal to redistribute.  I may make a go of an extension of it this evening.

Oh, and the 24 bit color did the trick.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:24:28 PM by Jason W »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »
Needs written authorization?  See http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_rla.htm

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
The eula is misleading, allowing for redistribution while the redistribution eula does not. 

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
so?
be or not to be?! That is the question!

When? I like foxit reader too.  ;D

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 04:13:45 PM »
I will make a download and build script.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:50:22 PM »
It's probably a difference for an "end user" sharing it