WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: look for windows shares on network and connect to them  (Read 2971 times)

Offline alu

look for windows shares on network and connect to them
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »
from the FAQ:

How do I mount windows shares?
If the sharing computer is at least Windows 2000, you can mount the share with only the filesystems-2.6.26.tcem extension.

I have a computer with XP on it; i have filessystems-2.6.26.tcem installed on my tc box.

In a root console:

mkdir /mnt/windows
mount -t cifs //9.53.216.11/myshare /mnt/windows -o user=myname,pass=mypassword

Replace the IP with your sharing computer's IP. If you need to log into a domain instead of the computer, you can add domain=mydomain to the options.

I spend hours yesterday evening in order to connect a shared folder on a windows machine in my network (standard eth0 linkage), and that's why i have a couple of questions:

1. how to look for windows shares? there does not seem to have an extension in order to look for shares (folders and printers) in a network; such an extension would be of great help;

2. the mount command did not work for me, and returned an error saying someting like "cfis bad filename"; i tried

sudo mount -t vfat //IP/shared_folder /mnt/mytcshares

but it did not want to connect the shared folder. IP address is ok (i can ping the machines in my network) and the file format is also ok (fat32). What am I doing wrong?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: look for windows shares on network and connect to them
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
For better coverage, see the Samba extension. Most of the commonly used windows-related networking utils are there, it only lacks a gui.

Vfat would mean a local mount, so that's why it didn't work. Could you paste the exact error you got from mount.cifs?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline alu

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:44:10 AM »
i thought that the samba extension was only the samba server extension, but if you say that it covers also the samba client, i would use it; i am on travel, but i will post the message i got asap when i am back home

Offline alu

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
ok, i have the exact error message

mount: unknown file system type 'cifs'

i tried it with a windows and a linux computer, with and without username and password, but still the same error message.

Offline pajo

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:44:55 PM »
I ran in to this awhile ago.  I thought I had mounted a cifs share with just loading the filesystem extension.  As it turned out this wasn't enough.  When I also loaded the samba extension it mounted fine for me.  I didn't like the fact that the samba extension is such a hog, so I went about trying to figure out how to lighten the load.  I don't remember all the permutations I went through but in the end I recompiled the samba extension just to get the 'mount.cifs' binary.

So in a nutshell you need to load the filesystem extention and have mount.cifs.  I haven't taken it any further and move the binary to /usr/local/sbin (I'm guessing here at the moment), but I just execute mount.cifs server:/host directory  /mnt/mount point, where server is the share ip and host directory is the share, and /mnt/mount point is a local directory to mount to.  Hope this isn't to wordy.

Good Luck

Offline alu

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:19:09 AM »
mmhh... it seems to work, even if I don't have a succes now, but smthg. should not be all right with my network. I am looking forward with your solution.