WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] getflash11 needs obsolete openssl  (Read 2873 times)

Offline philip

[SOLVED] getflash11 needs obsolete openssl
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
Installing getflash11.tcz gives me a new script /usr/local/bin/getflash11.sh. This script does some things, but also emits the error message "openssl-0.9.8.tcz not found!" The extension "flash11.tcz" seems to have been built and installed correctly, but trying to install it from the local extension store produces the same error message. This is a problem for me, because only openssl-1.0.0 is on the download site and I didn't keep a copy of the previous version. Thanks for any suggestions.

(The "info" writeup on getFlash11.tcz sometimes mentions flash10. I think that's a typo.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:15:11 PM by philip »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: getflash11 needs obsolete openssl
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »
Thanks for reporting, I fixed the info file.

But openssl-0.9.8 was once a dep of curl, but is no longer.  It is not directly a dep of getFlash11.tcz, nor the resulting flash11.tcz. 

It sounds like you have some old extensions or dep files in your tce directory, particuiarly curl.tcz.  Updating dep files with appsaudit, fetch missing if needed, and then running tce-update should help.

Let me know if that still leaves an issue.  Oh, and perhaps manually delete the old flash11.tcz.dep if needed.

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »
(Slightly OT): Will 'curl.tcz' remain statically build WRT openSSL, or could it not go back (similar to the updated 'wget.tcz') to the smaller sized version that it was prior to August?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
I will do curl with shared ssl upon next rebuild now that shared is the upgrade path.

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
Thanks Jason. I had that little request ever since August in the back of my mind, but only now felt compelled to speak up.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
Yeah, using a static SSL was kind of like a last resort or "lesser of two evils" way of trying to keep the openssl upgrade approach clean.  But since we can support even multiple legacy versions of openssl if needed in a libssl-$VER.tcz extension, it is clearly the most efficient and still clean way to go.

Offline philip

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
Thanks, Jason! Indeed I had the latest version of all extensions, but my extensions directory also contained an obsolete file named curl.tcz.dep. (No newer version of this file is on the downloads page, presumably because the current version of curl has no dependencies.) Deleting this file allowed flash11.tcz to load successfully.

(Is it possible that when the appsaudit tool does a dependency update, it doesn't treat the situation where a dependency file should be removed? I do remember applying that tool a few times before raising my query.)

All this is happening on my work machine, which I am now tweaking remotely. So I can tell that flash11 loaded OK but my bandwidth is inadequate to apply the YouTube test. Nonetheless, the specific problem in the subject line is solved ... so Thank You, and I'll edit the subject line accordingly.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: [SOLVED] getflash11 needs obsolete openssl
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:08:39 AM »
Great, glad it is working now.  And yeah, perhaps Appsaudit should remove a dep file when there no longer exists one in the repo as in the case was with curl.tcz, since that dep file is then wrong in it's existence. 

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »
It might be safer to always require a ( possibly empty ) dep file.

Offline philip

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »
I like Gerald's proposal: it sounds easy to understand, implement, and maintain.

(PS: The YouTube test passes.)