WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Anyone have virtualBox guest additions working?  (Read 8469 times)

Offline ianjb

Anyone have virtualBox guest additions working?
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:34:20 AM »
I'm running TCL in virtualBox on a winXP system and I really like this small, fast distro. I've used virtualbox to host ubuntu based distros and like the guest addition features. So far I've been unable to get the guest additions installed in TCL. I see that others here are running TCL in VB and wondered if anyone had successfully installed the guest additions?

Offline nickispeaki

Re: Anyone have virtualBox guest additions working?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
what are guest additions?

I use VB without any additions....  ::)

Offline ianjb

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »
The guest additions that I use are:

Shared folders - this allows a folder to be shared with the host and makes it easy to get files in and out of the VB guest.

Automatic mouse capture - this allows much easier transitions between the guest and the host without having to press the right Control key

Cut and paste between the host and the guest.

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »

Shared folders - this allows a folder to be shared with the host and makes it easy to get files in and out of the VB guest.

Automatic mouse capture - this allows much easier transitions between the guest and the host without having to press the right Control key

i see!
shared folders not worked in me, mouse capture was used by pressing right Ctrl+F (or something like that)

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Retired Admins
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
What have you tried so far?

You'll probably need compiletc and Xorg for everything.

[..]mouse capture was used by pressing right Ctrl+F (or something like that)
That's different from automatic capture.

Offline ianjb

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:09 AM »
I'm getting closer. I've added compiletc and Xorg. It now says "installed successfully" at the end but it's not working. I'll update with the steps when I get it working.

It would be nice to make it an extension?

Offline noiv

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
I support the idea having the guest additions of VirtualBox in TCL. It would allow to run a browser on TCL and by-pass apache's virtual hosts configured of the host system.

Also I could easily miss pressing the host key each time just to leave the TCL guest window and having the windows seamless side by side would increment productivity.

Not to mention that booting TCL and starting Minefield takes more or less same time than starting minefield on the host.

Some other distros can deal with the guest additions, what is needed to put TCL on this list:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes
?

Regards

Offline saravanan

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »

i need the automatic mouse transition feature, which needs virtualBox guest additions but could not make it to work.

Can any one please help me?

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
There is an issue with the VBox guest additions that I have not had the time to investigate that has to do with the permissions of the devices created and udev rules not being read before devices created.  The work around is fairly simple and can be run by hand or with a script in ~/.X.d

Code: [Select]
sudo chown vboxadd:daemon /dev/vbox*
sudo chmod 666 /dev/vboxuser

You can then start the additions userspace tools with
VBoxClient-all

Offline mcollier

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:35:01 PM »
There is an issue with the VBox guest additions that I have not had the time to investigate that has to do with the permissions of the devices created and udev rules not being read before devices created.  The work around is fairly simple and can be run by hand or with a script in ~/.X.d

sudo chown vboxadd:daemon /dev/vbox*
sudo chmod 666 /dev/vboxuser

You can then start the additions userspace tools with
VBoxClient-all

I have implemented your scripted solution and it works well.  Any progress on a fix for this?