WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tc-install and ab Permission denied errors  (Read 11741 times)

Offline roborob

tc-install and ab Permission denied errors
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
Hi,

I am new to linux and I am really excited about tinycore and microcore.  I have been able to install and use tinycore in a frugal configuration.  That works great! 

However, I am having quite a bit of trouble with microcore.  I have been able to install to sda1 and it looks like it is running.  (ifconfig displays data as expected.)  The problem is with installing applications.  I have tried ab and tc-load, and they both return the same error.

Downloading nodejs.tcz
wget: can’t open ‘nodejs.tcz.md5.txt’: Permission denied
Contacting distro.ibiblio.org (152.19.134.43:80)
wget: can’t open ‘nodejs.tcz’: Permission denied
md5sum: nodejs.tcz.md5.txt: No such file or directory
Error on nodejs.tcz

I can manually download the files via wget (into /mnt/sda1/tce/optional), however tc-install fails with a Permission denied error as well.

I have looked in the wiki and forums for hours and tried the few hints found therein, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might help with this situation?

Thanks!
-Robert

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: tc-install and ab Permission denied errors
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
Hi tcRobert
Welcome to the forum. Since you are just starting, maybe you should stay with Tinycore until you
learn a little more about Linux. Microcore is just Tinycore without the GUI. If you are looking to run
any GUI apps on Microcore you need to add Xlibs, Xprogs, and some other packages, essentially
turning it back into Tinycore. Start with Tinycore, get your hardware and applications set up, learn
about backups, and persistence for settings. tc-install is a GUI app.

Offline roborob

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.  No GUI apps please.  Just a fast linux box that can run node.js. 

I am comfortable with the command line, and I can google any commands I am unfamiliar with.  I only tried tc-install after ab failed. 

Perhaps this is a problem with microcore 4.0.2?  I will try an older distro while I'm waiting for something helpful to turn up here.  Thanks.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
Hi tcRobert
You can use the command line in Tinycore simply by opening a terminal. Even for command line
operations, it can be handy to have multiple terminals open.

Offline roborob

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
Hi Rich,

LOL, I'm not 'that' new.   

on another note: ab works as expected in microcore 3.8.4; node.js installed without issue.

one thing I observed while troubleshooting this issue:

in mc 3.8.4 the ab search returns nodejs.tcz as option 1.
in mc 4.0.2 the ab search returns nodejs.tcz as option 3.

Is there a configuration file for ab in 4.0.2 that may need to be updated?  This might explain why I would wget the files, presumably by manually entering the correct location on ibiblio.

Also, I need to correct my original post.  I was trying to use tce-load, not tce-install. 

Any help would be great!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:31:48 PM by tcRobert »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 06:48:17 PM »
Hi tcRobert
So, you lied to me, you're not quite the newb you led on to be in your first post. The 4.x series is
still quite new so there could very well still be some issues that need to be resolved. The 4.x
applications repository is also still in the process of being populated, and some apps will likely
also experience a few quirks after being migrated over from 3.x.

Offline roborob

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »
Hi Rich,

LOL!  I did not lie, I am new to linux.  At the same time I'm not responsible your perceptions.  :)  Just to give you some perspective, I have been in computers for about 25 years or so.  I got started in the DOS 3.3 days, so I'm no stranger to the CLI.

What you say about the repository makes sense, however I see nodejs.tcz at http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/ 

One other thing, I loaded tinycore 4.0.2, opened the AppBrowser, and clicked Connect.  It fails with an error of: "Connection error, check network or mirror."  The title bar displays: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux  I am not sure if that is what is expected or whether it should be the same as the link I mentioned above.  Also, when I run ifconfig, I see eth0 looking normal, and I can ping gogle.com

Is there a "mirrors" file I can manually update?  (Does that even make sense in light of what I am trying to do?)

Thanks!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
Hi tcRobert
You are going to love this, there is a  mirrors.tcz  available that contains a list of mirrors.

Offline roborob

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
Hi Rich,

I tried wget http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/mirrors.tcz and received an error:

wget: can't open 'mirrors.tcz': Permission denied

Any ideas?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
Hi tcRobert
I don't use the command line for installing apps, but, is it possible you have to use:
sudo wget ...

Offline roborob

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 07:57:50 PM »
Hi Rich,

sudo worked, Thanks.  However, the AppBrowser still will not connect.  Which directory should the mirrors.tcz be downloaded to?

Thanks,

Robert

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
Hi tcRobert
mirrors.tcz  belongs in the  tce/optional directory.
I guess you then need  tce-load  to install it, possibly using  sudo  again.
Once loaded it should show up under  /usr/local/share/mirrors
I don't know if it's normal to have to use sudo for these commands. If it's not, then the permissions
for your  tce  directory may be incorrect.

Offline roborob

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 09:58:04 PM »
Hi Rich,

I was able to wget mirrors.tcz into the /mnt/sda1/tce/optional directory, however tc-load would not work.  I loaded AppBrowser and clicked Local and managed to load it that way.  Now a list of mirrors will display, but none of them will connect.

Could this be a bug in AppBrowser in tinycore 4.0.2?  If so it has something in common with ab failing in microcore 4.0.2.

Thanks for helping me get this far!

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
The fact that you are using sudo would  indicate an improperly setup tce directory structure.
Manually creating directories as root will result in permission errors.

If you are using only microcore then from prompt as regular user tc run the command tce-setdrive and it will allow you to select a drive for your tce directory and will proceed to set it up with proper permissions. But it will likely be of liitle use if you have already manually setup your directory. Check your permissions. They should be tc.staff

ab works just fine in microcore 4.0.2 with proper tce directory.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roborob

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 01:15:16 AM »
Hi roberts,

The problem I am experiencing occurs on a fresh install of microcore 4.0.2.  I have not created any directories.  I navigated to /mnt/sda1/tce/optional only after reading the wiki and forums.  Is that the wrong location?

When I run tce-setdrive I get the following message:

Your TCE Drive, /mnt/sda1/tce, has already been selected!

--edit--
It turned out to be a permissions issue, although I do not know how it would have changed from the default.  I did not run chmod on this install prior to this post.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:50:39 AM by tcRobert »