WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: flash loading (SOLVED)  (Read 4213 times)

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

flash loading (SOLVED)
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:33:49 AM »
 I noticed recently the past couple of weeks that playing youtube videos and some other sites that when I'm playing a video, the video loads constantly then plays "some" then loads and loads and loads then plays some more. Is there anybody else having this problem and or does anyone have a solution to it "besides don't watch any videos",lol.

It's driven me nutts actually, is this a linux problem? Or is this a flash problem? Or is it just my problem?

I GOT FLASH PLAYER FROM THE APP BROWSER "getflash10.tcz", DOES IT HAVE TO BE UPDATED? I noticed the verison is from 2010/09/06.

Also note that I had this problem with mc 3.6 and now I just upgraded to 3.7 and the problem is still there.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee help me fix this and if anyone else is having this problem or has had this problem, what did u do to fix it?

This is a huge problem "TO ME" and I'm sure many others.

Thanks, George
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:42:51 PM by cURIOUSgEORGE »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: flash loading
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:59:35 AM »
Hi cURIOUSgEORGE

I run that same version of flash under Opera vers. 10.10 and TC vers. 3.4 and it works fine.
You might want to post which browser you are using and how much RAM, maybe someone else can
shed some light on this. Are any other applications running erratically or doing anything strange?

If that's the only application giving you a problem you could try un-installing then re-installing it.

EDIT: You may also want to think back and try to remember any changes you made to your
         machine in the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:04:52 AM by Rich »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:49:55 AM »
Isn't that normal youtube behavior on a slow internet connection? That the video downloads slower than it plays, and has to pause to get more.

I've certainly seen it on both Windows and Macs in such situations.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:22:35 AM »
It's also normal behaviour on fast internet connections. I even have to wait for youtube when I'm on a 100mbit line.
I try to not use youtube as every second video is blocked anyway in Germany - music copyrights.
And the ads also got way too annoying.

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »
The date of the getFlash extension has no bearing on the version of Flash it gets.  It always fetches the latest version.  The extension is only updated when it needs to be, like when they change the name or location of the latest available flash download.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »
Hi cURIOUSgEORGE

You might also try running  top  to see if another application is sucking up a lot of resources.

A few observations based on the previous 3 posts:

It's possible your Internet connection has slowed down. For example, a friend of mine gets his
Internet connection through his cable TV provider. The connection used to be quite fast, but as
other people in the neighborhood signed up it slowed down and now depends on how many
people in his area are on line.

Even if the connection is fast, it's possible that if the videos you are watching are very popular that
the problem is at the other end. The same applies if the site is simply experiencing a lot of traffic.

As Jason W pointed out, getFlash simply fetches the latest version. If you re-ran it recently a
newer version of flash may be the cause.

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »
 Thanks guys and yes all your answers make sence but my internet connection is very fast and I have 512 mb ram with only firefox oss and flash , xfce4.

Also as far as doing or making any changes recently - I havent, infact I had the problem before this 3.7 version for the past month and that's why I was excited for the 3.7 upgrade, "thinking that maybe somehow it would help", just a hope.

As soon as I then installed 3.7 I ab firefox oss flash, and it happened immediately.

I then tried about 5 other browser and had the same result. Aswell as uninstalling flash then reinstalling.

I remember back when it use too be blazing fast for me, just 2months ago. Hmmm, and youtube IS NOT SLOW, just the video loading, but Youtube itself doesnt freeze. Also my computer doesn't freeze and it too is blazing fast. Yes, with only 512.

I noticed last night when I was haven this problem I choose to use inprivate browsing, and it was working great for about an hour straight, but strangely now it's back once again to the same loading even with inprivate browsing. errrrrrr.

Thanks for all the thoughts. hmmm
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:08:03 PM by cURIOUSgEORGE »

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
If you are using firefox, I would be concerned about the very large cache files and ever growing sqlite database files. These could be exhausting your resources. Use control panel, system stats, to see the default tab bigHomeFiles.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:13 AM »
 Yes, but I've always used firefox and in the past "month or two ago" playing youtube videos on firefox has always been very fast for me, even with a computer that had 248 mb ram. Now I have 512 on a different computer. I noticed the slow down on the 248mb ram  I had and I switched too this one with 512 and the problem is still there. I think it's probaly flash itself, but IDK. Also even trying lightweight browsers such as epiphany and midori the problem is still there. Doesn't matter the browser "in my case".

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
I'd be more interested in obtaining the lesser evil of the two  version 9      this is still acceptable for many web sites right?

Offline genec

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
I remember back when it use too be blazing fast for me, just 2months ago. Hmmm, and youtube IS NOT SLOW, just the video loading, but Youtube itself doesnt freeze. Also my computer doesn't freeze and it too is blazing fast. Yes, with only 512.

There you go.  You need to remember that there are many content types that are stored on different clusters of servers, which may include web front end, static text (Javascript/CSS), static images, comments, user-generated images and the user-generated video.  It may just be that the connection to the video is slow for you.  Further discussion would probably be more appropriate in the lounge.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
youtube fails to detect capability of the client machine then attempt to force a higher quality than the machine can handle.   At least let the user set the default stream quality..  A'aaaah!  so I cut them no slack!

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »
After increasing my swap, since two weeks ago youtube videos are consistently blazing fast again! I remember now that when I set my swap partiton the last two times "old computer and this one" that I've been getting greedy with setting my swap too low because I thought I could get away with it.lol  "due too previously everythings been running too perfectly." Youtube is fine.

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: flash loading (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »
Jason, are you sure that your post is the case with Tincore?

it gets the very latest version of flash?

Vince.

Offline coreplayer2

Re: flash loading (SOLVED)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
I have to confess that I didn't realize immediately "getflash10" doesn't go get flash on it's own, doh!  soon figured out that I had to load and launch the extension so it will go get the latest version and install it .

lol