WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Flash upgrade  (Read 30912 times)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Flash upgrade
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »
I thought the libflashsupport.so was needed for flash sound with OSS.  It is great if it is working without it.

it's probably in another folder. i often "install" it by copying that file, and the .xpt one. that's for version 9, presumably i could install version 10 that way too.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »
Flash9.tce puts it in /usr/lib.  BTW/  It's a little confusing to have the install script listed as getFlash, since someone would be looking for "flash"  in the appsbrowser. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:15:52 PM by jpeters »

Offline edwbri

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 11:45:51 PM »
edwbri:  You need flashplayer.xpt in you opera/plugin folder, then it should work.  (I think it's in the getFlash.tce extension). 

:-[ ... i cannot find that flashplayer.xpt file.  it's not in getFlash9.tce nor in getFlash10.tce... it's not in the flashplayer tar.gz or tar.bz2 packages from adobe (versions 9 and 10)

any other place for me to look?  Or, would it be possible to receive it via email?

I did install the libflashsupport.so file into the various areas as suggested.  Still no sound...

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 12:11:11 AM »
I think getFlash installs a script for downloading the files and building flash9.tce. Then just install flash9.tce and the files should go to the right places.  (check the getFlash info file).   

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 06:32:37 AM »
libflashsupport.so is the OSS library for supporting Flash, not the same as libflashplayer.so.  They are two different files.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
libflashsupport.so is the OSS library for supporting Flash, not the same as libflashplayer.so.  They are two different files.

Libflashsupport is in flash9.tce, and installs to /usr lib (at least it is in my copy). 

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »
libflashsupport.so is the OSS library for supporting Flash, not the same as libflashplayer.so.

ohhh... right (thanks)

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »
libflashsupport.so is the OSS library for supporting Flash, not the same as libflashplayer.so.

ohhh... right (thanks)
even with flash so big trubble!  :-\

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »
It's funny, but after building my own system not only don't I care about flash10, but I don't even want X, given all the extra files.  There's some really advantages to text browsing.....

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
There's some really advantages to text browsing.....

in theory, yes. i love links (at times) but crappy or nonexisting javascript support (many sites inoperable without it) and afaik tinycore does not have the textmode driver for the mouse (i always think it's called gdm, but that's the login manager for ubuntu/other enormous distros, right?) and pointing and clicking is more efficient than scrolling through lots of links on a webpage. i know, because i used to use arachne and using it without the mouse was intolerable for any "serious browsing."

personally i think that no website should depend on flash (if it can't be done with gnash, don't do it!) but sites like youtube, blip and vimeo are important because they connect the world in a way that text just can't.

pictures are overrated (in fact i almost always surf with pictures off) but when you're doing work online all day, turning pictures on can be very refreshing. naturally, links can do very nice things in a framebrowser. but then you get to css. a lot of sites are quite usable without it (some i think are better) but the way the nutcases at the w3c push everyone to put one div per line and then use css to bring all the divs into a table (or this is just how table-free design is interpreted) 2 page websites become 20 page websites in text browsers or without css.

in theory, text browsing is good. in practice, it's becoming very tedious and sometimes impossible. we need better text browsers with more features to browse reasonably- but sometimes we just need graphical browsers, where "we" refers to most people. if you're happy using only links, we could envy you. but you're probably making sacrifices too. i agree though, there are some advantages. my favorite use for links is when i want to download just one thing from the net booting tc into cloud mode, or just look up one thing in a search engine or wikipedia.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
Text browsers like elinks have mouse support. It's just nice to run a system without the 200+ extra files needed to support X.  (also no possibility of ads, lots of speed, script to your favorite pages, superfast search functions, etc., etc..)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:24:34 PM by jpeters »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »
Text browsers like elinks have mouse support.

in other distros, not in tc yet. (not without x.)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 10:13:55 PM »
Text browsers like elinks have mouse support.

in other distros, not in tc yet. (not without x.)

elincs works great in tc without x; I just tried it.   

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »
how did you get the mouse working? i was using it inside qemu today, no mouse or cursor that i can tell.

the mouse works if i use it in x in a term, probably regardless of mode. are you using the framebuffer?

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 01:16:50 AM »
how did you get the mouse working? i was using it inside qemu today, no mouse or cursor that i can tell.

the mouse works if i use it in x in a term, probably regardless of mode. are you using the framebuffer?

I see what you're saying....I chroot into a system without x, and it works because mouse drivers are loaded in ram.....otherwise there wouldn't be mouse support.