Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

mpd: problem starting

<< < (5/5)

gavs:
Both Robert and SamK reported success starting mpd with low RAM. I tried again on the 256mb computer and was unsuccessful. So, I considered trying to reproduce the behaviour of libvpx on the 512mb computer.

First I booted TC3.1 from iso with option noswap. Then I executed sudo swapoff /dev/ramzswap0 to eliminate confusion with RAM swapping. I then downloaded and loaded extensions until I brought the free memory on the 512mb computer to less than what was available on the 256mb computer. After executing sudo cache-clear the results of free indicated 0 for all swap entries and identical entries for mem and total with total=514212, used=323632, free=190580, shared=0 and buffers=12. When I tried to start mpd I obtained the libvpx memory error message.

This surprised me as I had seen some web postings indicating that the memory useage had been fixed in version libvpx-0.9.1-2.fc12 (though this was for redhat??). I think the version in TC is more recent?

In conclusion, I was able to reproduce the libvpx memory error on the 512mb computer by 'using up' sufficient memory. I wonder if Robert and SamK could check if they were using swapfiles and ramswap0 (I think the TC3.1 default is to set ramswap0 to 25% of available RAM)

Hope this experiment sheds some insight.

gutmensch:
I checked again, strace still reports libvpx is trying to map over 512 MB of memory, so with "real" 128 MB and no swap (sorry for that) it's not working. Right now I'm trying to build "stable" 0.9.2 (without git rev) and see if it changes anything  :-\

gutmensch:
according to the git tree it seems that --enable-psnr is causing this memory adressing issue, atm trying to build without it ;-)

[edit]
this seems to fix the issue, new version is submitted ;)
[/edit]

SamK:

--- Quote from: gavs on September 29, 2010, 10:50:48 AM ---...I wonder if Robert and SamK could check if they were using swapfiles....

--- End quote ---
I went back and inspected the test machine.  It has 128MB physical RAM + access to a 512MB swapfile.

Good catch.

gavs:
I was successful loading alsa+mpd+gmpc to TC3.1 on the 128mb ram computer and playing music (using ntfs-3g to access music on external usb NTFS drive).

Thanks to everyone for their advice and assistance, to the TC team for making all this possible and particular thanks to Robert for revising libvpx.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version