Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

mpd: problem starting

<< < (4/5) > >>

TaoTePuh:
Thanks for the sudo correction. I start mpd as root (bootlocal.sh) but with "user    tc" in mpd.conf.

SamK:

--- Quote from: gutmensch on September 27, 2010, 01:09:38 PM ---...didn't try it yet with less than 512 MB though...

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure whether this help or hinders your discussion but offer my recent experience with TC3.1+MPD.  

During a testing phase over the last few days, MPD ran on a machine with 128MB RAM of which 16MB was reserved for the video graphics, leaving 112MB available for use by apps.  The music directory was an NTFS partition on an external USB HD accessed via ntfs-3g.  It contained many hundreds of directories holding many thousands of files.

MPD was started from /opt/bootsync.sh and all the configuration files were located in /opt/mpd.

Relevant contents of /opt/mpd/SamK/mpd.conf

--- Code: ---music_directory "/mnt/sdb1"
playlist_directory "/opt/mpd/SamK/playlists"
db_file "/opt/mpd/database"
pid_file "/opt/mpd/SamK/pid"
bind_to_address "any"
port "6600"

--- End code ---

--- Quote from: gavs ---Failed to load database: Unexpected end of file
database: db file "/home/tc/.mpd/database" is not a regular file

--- End quote ---
This looks suspicious.  Is the problem in some way related to the way in which the database file was created and whether it was successfully created?  It might be helpful to check what type of file it is, can you do the following and post the output?

--- Code: ---ls -l /home/tc/.mpd/database
--- End code ---

TaoTePuh:

--- Quote from: SamK on September 28, 2010, 12:53:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: gavs ---Failed to load database: Unexpected end of file
database: db file "/home/tc/.mpd/database" is not a regular file

--- End quote ---
This looks suspicious.  Is the problem in some way related to the way in which the database file was created and whether it was successfully created?  It might be helpful to check what type of file it is, can you do the following and post the output?

--- End quote ---

I have reproduced this message. It occurs when the file "database" is created manually (eg. "touch /home/tc/.mpd/database") before starting mpd. And so gavs did.

But otherwise mpd starts completely normal, begins indexing, overwrite the "wrong file" and works without restarting.

gavs:
Thank you all for your perseverance. The discussion has helped me better understand how to use mpd (e.g. as sudo vs daemonized as tc). Your comments also helped me realize what I was doing wrong. I apologize for my carelessness. I had read the note about creating necessary directories and after reading 'playlist directory' in mpdconf.example, I just assumed the log, database, pid and state lines were also for directories (though it clearly writes 'log file', 'database file', etc. My mistake was to not onlyexecute mkdir -p ~/.mpd/playlists, but to also execute mkdir -p ~/.mpd/log, etc. Things work as expected when I do not create these directories.

Regarding the issue of ram, thank you to SamK for the suggestion about /opt/bootsync.sh. I am not familiar with bootsync.sh (I have used bootlocal.sh), but I will look into this and see if I can make it work on the 256mb ram computer.

Thank you all for your assistance and advice to get mpd working on the 512mb ram computer.

gutmensch:
FWIW I tested mpd tomorrow morning with 128 MB of RAM, after loading and executing mpd there were still about 60 MB free!
You're welcome, gavs :)
Best regards,
Robert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version