Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Corepure64

NVIDIA driver on TCE Corepure64 9.x

(1/6) > >>

caracalla:
Hi guys,

I need some directions on how to compile proprietary Nvidia driver on Tiny Core Linux 64-bit.

When I execute the installer with ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.67.run I get "./nvidia-installer: not found" error. I get the same error even if I first extract the installer package with an -x option and then manually execute ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.67/nvidia-installer.

There was a similar issue reported a while ago (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=16988.0), but back then fellow member coreplayer2 prepared an extension without explaining in detail what he did to successfully compile the driver.

Searching further I also stumbled upon a thread on a different forum (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/installing-nvidia-driver-i-get-nvidia-installer-can%27t-find-863897/) where they concluded that this is an issue if you are trying to compile Nvidia driver on a system which is not "pure" 64-bit, which means that running kernel is 64-bit while some applications could also be 32-bit.

I am really sceptical about this explanation and I believe that TCE available from the repository is entirely 64-bit.

If you have any ideas what I am missing please let me know.

caracalla:
Searching further I found two additional sites that are explaining that this issue is related to non "pure" 64-bit system

http://vasnake.blogspot.com/2011/06/blog-post_09.html
https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?185954-nVidia-driver-help-needed&p=994686#post994686

--- Quote ---Some distributions have the option of installing a 64-bit kernel for use with all 32-bit userspace programs.
This configuration is not supported by the NVIDIA Linux Graphics Driver.
If you try to install the 64-bit driver package on such a system, you will receive an error like the following:
./nvidia-installer: No such file or directory

nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread?s=ce7172da527094e880b7e22020852671&t=72490#2
--- End quote ---

Maybe there is something to it and this is the case with 64-bit Tiny Core Linux?

Juanito:
As the name suggests, CorePure64 is purely 64-bit.

Your "not found" error could be because you are missing the bash, perl or python extensions or because a symlink /lib64 -> /lib is required.

caracalla:
I can't believe it, all I had to do is to add a symlink /lib64 -> /lib.

Juanito, you rule!   ;D

Alligadi:
Is there a tcz planned for Nvidia cards? I am glad that basic OpenGL works with Xorg-7.7-3d, but Shader Model 2.0 seems to be too much currently. :)

Hm hardware has developed, why do we still rely on the graphic vendors bullshit for applications, is my i7 processor really not fast enough to emulate a graphic card and basic shader model 2 capability from 2002, how can "GLX is not supported" be justified if all that I want to run is a simple program with some computationally cheap shaders on my i7? And do we really need a graphic card to make Xorg play videos and the window managers and apps GUI responsive on a i7 processor, or are they just bloated and programmed completely inefficient, mostly based on long outdated technology like X11 protocol? Do we need a complicated DX12 graphic driver just to get a projector attached to HDMI up and running, displaying the desktop (it fails in 80% of the cases I tried Linux distributions, only Windows supports general HDMI output it seems, no matter if graphic driver is installed or not)? Or do we really need a DX12-supporting graphics driver just to get a laptop monitor to output the desktop in a resolution that is not distorted?
All that seems to be too much for GNU/Linux@2018, can't we abandon GPU's for most desktop purposes and leave the gamer stuff for Windows users?
If graphic cards have completeley failed the open source community, why do we still suffer from the bad design decisions that developed around them, and no one went for alternatives for applications that do not demand full GPU-power, meaning everything that is not a 3D game?

Best regards,
Alligadi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version