Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Corepure64

NVIDIA driver on TCE Corepure64 9.x

<< < (6/6)

coreplayer2:
Hello Alligadi

First,  I've found that nvidia-config can fail to create a Xorg.conf file correctly because of missing dependencies without giving any indication that it failed.  So I'm wondering if you attempted to create an Xorg.conf file using your current installation, or did you attempt to use my script provided below to install all required components..?

Secondly,  please confirm this notebook has only an Nvidia discreet graphics chip?   I'm thinking that maybe you have a hybrid which includes an i915 chip which may be leading to the confusion?

You could also try creating a basic Xorg.conf using Xorg -configure as root,  then simply change the driver name to "Nvidia"

--- Code: ---Xorg -configure
mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
--- End code ---

then edit this section to add Nvidia
"Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "Nvidia"

Then

--- Code: ---startx
--- End code ---

coreplayer2:
Further...

Assuming you have only an Nvidia display chip, then

take the script attached to a previous post in this thread, comment out these last two lines

--- Code: ---# sudo nvidia-xconfig
# startx
--- End code ---

and save it, make it executable

then
reboot
connect to internet via Ethernet or "sudo wifi.sh"
./nvidia_load.sh                                                    #or whatever location and name you gave the script
cd /
sudo Xorg -configure                                             # this should make a basic config file with fonts and Nvidia driver  but id check that it specifies Nvidia
sudo mkdir -p /etc/X11                                           #make sure the directory exists
sudo cp /root/xorg.conf.new /home/tc/xorg.conf.new   #save a copy somewhere safe
sudo cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If everything went well
startx                                                                    #should start the desktop

good luck

Alligadi:

--- Quote from: coreplayer2 on November 21, 2018, 09:20:47 AM ---Hello Alligadi

First,  I've found that nvidia-config can fail to create a Xorg.conf file correctly because of missing dependencies without giving any indication that it failed.  So I'm wondering if you attempted to create an Xorg.conf file using your current installation, or did you attempt to use my script provided below to install all required components..?

Secondly,  please confirm this notebook has only an Nvidia discreet graphics chip?   I'm thinking that maybe you have a hybrid which includes an i915 chip which may be leading to the confusion?

You could also try creating a basic Xorg.conf using Xorg -configure as root,  then simply change the driver name to "Nvidia"

--- Code: ---Xorg -configure
mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
--- End code ---

then edit this section to add Nvidia
"Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "Nvidia"

Then

--- Code: ---startx
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Hi coreplayer2!
Thank you for your effort!
It is a hybrid setup, as there is also a
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
additionally to the
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] (rev a1)

Any ideas how I could make it work in this case?

Best regards,
Alligadi

coreplayer2:
Sorry, I have no experience with hybrid graphics.  However I understand that some notebooks have a switch either physical or with the BIOS to disable the onchip graphics adaptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version