WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to add fonts?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
[SOLVED] How to add fonts?
« on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:55 AM »
I am from India and need to add ttf-indic fonts to read Indian languages sites properly. Till Firefox 2.0 I was required to use the Firefox built with pango enabled (which only Ubuntu was doing) option. With arrival of Firefox 3 the need to use pango enabled build is not required and I can use Firefox 3 on any Linux distribution provided I added the fonts.

I already have the fonts and on distributions like Puppy I create a .fonts directory and copy the fonts folder in .fonts.

I did the same thing on Tinycorelinux and it works.

kagashe
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 02:26:03 AM by kagashe »

Offline mikshaw

Re: [SOLVED] How to add fonts?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »
That's very nice isn't it?
As far as I know, this is limited to Gtk (maybe even limited to Gtk2).  Those ttf fonts won't work in console, apps based solely on Xlib, and possibly the FLTK apps (depending on how FLTK was built for TC).

But it's reeeealy convenient to just pop fonts into a directory and have them automatically  available =o)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:17:50 AM »
Don't forget QT apps such as Opera ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 01:40:11 AM »
That's very nice isn't it?
As far as I know, this is limited to Gtk (maybe even limited to Gtk2).  Those ttf fonts won't work in console, apps based solely on Xlib, and possibly the FLTK apps (depending on how FLTK was built for TC).

But it's reeeealy convenient to just pop fonts into a directory and have them automatically  available =o)
They are Indian Languages fonts and mainly required to read our websites. The fonts are also available on Leafpad to write. I have already added the Keyboad Layout Indicator/Switcher, for me it is complete system meeting my requirement.

kagashe

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:03:53 AM »
One tip on fonts.  There are three automatically recognized font directories in TC: /usr/share/fonts , /usr/local/share/fonts, and ~/.fonts.  Install fonts into any one of there font directories and they will be recognized by fc-cache.  Font extensions should preferably be installed into /usr/local/share/fonts.

Offline nao

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:15:07 AM »
Install fonts into any one of there font directories and they will be recognized by fc-cache. 
Which package should I install to do fc-cache? TCL is too compact to exec a familiar command... :'(

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
It's in the fontconfig extension, just like it's in the fontconfig package upstream :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nao

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:42 PM »
It's in the fontconfig extension, just like it's in the fontconfig package upstream :)

Thank you curaga-san.
I now can read japanese in opera on tc. :)
Double byte characters are an essential key and a barrier for japanese. Sigh.