WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Garbled image upon booting.  (Read 2147 times)

Offline captainpotato

• World Tapir Day: 27 April
Garbled image upon booting.
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:44:55 AM »
Hello all,

Now that I've got my Libretto 110CT booting, I've hit a new issue - the screen is garbled. No matter what resolution I set it at and no matter if I use the docking station or not (for an external monitor), the screen boots into a blurry yellow desktop with any features (mouse, text, menus, for instance) appearing in green outlines. If I attempt to quit to a prompt, there appears to be a kernel panic as the power light flashes repeatedly.

I've followed the instructions here, but it makes no difference:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Display+Modes

For the occasional screenmode, the background is red, but most are yellow.

Textmode works fine and the colours on the booting screen all display fine, so the hardware is working.

Any ideas?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Garbled image upon booting.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »
you haven't tried using another xvesa, or even xorg from the extensions? (only if you do, they may help.)

Offline captainpotato

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »
Not yet - before I went down that path I wanted to check to see if there was something I've missed. The Libretto doesn't have built-in USB or ethernet (so will inevitably need drivers to get the PCMCIA cards working), so to copy the files over, I need to remove its hard drive (again), which I was hoping to avoid, if at all possible.

Will try tonight and report back - thanks.

Offline captainpotato

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:04:58 AM »
Yep, that did it - thanks, tobiaus.

Now to do some more digging about solving the next issue that has come up straight after this :P

At least I'm learning a lot ;)

EDIT: solved that one as well - there's a slight error in the Wiki (which I'm about to fix - my first contribution :) ).

Now have a working desktop setup - thanks to roberts and tobiaus again for their assistance in getting me up and running.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:17:01 AM by captainpotato »

Offline andrewb

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »
What was the error? I ask As I wrote the original & run DSL & TCL on my 100CT. The DSL wiki allowed changes to be seen, but the TCL wiki doesn't appear to have that capability.