WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: xfce4 and xfwm  (Read 6479 times)

Offline krooooo

xfce4 and xfwm
« on: December 05, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »
Hi

I setup a no X system and then tce-ab install Xorg / xfce4 / xfwm ( I want a clean system and I like xfce ), but after "startx", the desktop shown with no mouse and icon, I cant do anything, after power off system I boot the machine with ISO and add "text" to bootfile, and then tce-ab install openbox, then the system got a desktop with mouse...

I feel strange, if the X system need a window manager, then the xfwm is a window manager , why still need openbox?? some dependent file missed??

Offline nitram

Re: xfce4 and xfwm
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
Hi. You can download as many window managers as desired, but it's best to ensure /tce/onboot.lst only lists one window manager. At CLI, i believe you can enter desktop=xfwm  then  startx. You may also need to install a graphic driver. Run  lspci  to determine your graphic chip then install to onboot xf86-video-*.tcz whatever. Hopefully not, a custom xorg.conf file may be needed.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
Are you using the tc-6.x repo (the extension is called xfwm4)?

Exit to the prompt and enter the following (assuming you're using Xorg-7.7):
Code: [Select]
$ /usr/local/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp
..you should then get an error message that might explain what is going wrong.

Offline krooooo

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
Hi. You can download as many window managers as desired, but it's best to ensure /tce/onboot.lst only lists one window manager. At CLI, i believe you can enter desktop=xfwm  then  startx. You may also need to install a graphic driver. Run  lspci  to determine your graphic chip then install to onboot xf86-video-*.tcz whatever. Hopefully not, a custom xorg.conf file may be needed.

Hi

thanks your suggest. I setup this system in VMware, I tce-ab Xprogs.tcz \ xf86-input-vmware \ xf86-video-vmware \ xfdesktop \ xfwm4 ,all dependent tcz are installed automatically just like "Xorg-7.7",  and then startx, no mouse, the onboot.lst contain "xfwm4.tcz" and "xfwm4-local.tcz"... after I installed openbox, the onboot.lst also contain "openbox.tcz", and then startx, the desktop is OK and the window manager is openbox

and I also try to edit the boot/extlinux.conf file to add "desktop=xfwm4", after power on, still no mouse, as same as not install openbox

after tca-ab install xfwm4, some dependent tcz still miss or  xorg.conf file need to be edit?? How to edit ??

Offline krooooo

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
Are you using the tc-6.x repo (the extension is called xfwm4)?

Exit to the prompt and enter the following (assuming you're using Xorg-7.7):
$ /usr/local/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp
..you should then get an error message that might explain what is going wrong.

YSE,  tc-6.x repo, that is xfwm4, and Xorg-7.7 is automatically installed

after exec
$ /usr/local/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp  the screen of this VM changed bigger but all is black...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »
Could be missing Xlibs and Xprogs?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline krooooo

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »
Xprogs.tcz is the first installed tcz

Offline nitram

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »
Hi krooooo.

Since you want to boot to xfwm4, manually edit /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst and remove openbox.tcz. For an Xorg system, your onboot.lst file should have at least the following. Replace intel with your required video driver or maybe this is different with a VM (sorry don't know). Replace fluxbox with desired window manager. AFAIK aterm.tcz IS required as well.

xf86-video-intel.tcz
Xorg-7.7.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
fluxbox.tcz
aterm.tcz

If xfwm4 is the only window manager in onboot.lst, then it should boot to this. I believe Ctrl-Alt-Enter or Backspace exits graphics, then you can enter  desktop=xfwm4  then  startx  again. If you have not set up a persistent system, then these system changes will be lost on every boot and you will need to redownload/reset. A persistent system is best is usually preferred and a reboot may be helpful. I don't know anything about VMs, which may complicate matters.

You may initially want to test your system with flwm_topside..tcz as a window manager instead, commonly used, known to work well with minimal dependencies.

Offline krooooo

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
Hi nitram

this is my onboot.lst:

Xprogs.tcz
xfce4-session.tcz
xfconf.tcz
xfdesktop.tcz
xfwm4.tcz
xf86-video-vmware.tcz
xf86-input-vmware.tcz
xfwm4-local.tcz
OSS.tcz
aterm.tcz

after exec desktop=xfwm4 then startx, the desktop shown with openbox window manager...

Offline krooooo

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »
there is another strange thing: I add "Xorg-7.7.tcz" to onboot.lst and then startx, the desktop shown without mouse, that means no window manager?! but xfwm4 and openbox are still in the system, I have not delete them!

and, I reboot and delete "Xorg-7.7.tcz" from onboot.lst and then startx, but still no mouse! Now I do not have a usable desktop?!

Offline krooooo

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 03:55:21 PM »
I think the "xfwm4.tcz" maybe unusable, before, I tried a system with onboot.lst only contain

Xprogs.tcz
xfce4-session.tcz
xf86-video-vmware.tcz
xf86-input-vmware.tcz
openbox.tcz

and I may get a usable desktop, change "openbox.tcz" to "xfwm4.tcz" then got issue...

Offline nitram

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »
Can't say whether xfwm4.tcz is unusable but it may be more complicated than some window managers. That's why i suggested just setting up something simpler. Can only speak from personal experience jwm.tcz, fluxbox.tcz and openbox.tcz are known to work well.

Since you already have Openbox downloaded, ensure all of these extensions are downloaded into /optional, listed in onboot.lst, reboot and test:

Xorg-7.7.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
xf86-video-vmware.tcz
xf86-input-vmmouse.tcz
openbox.tcz
aterm.tcz

NOTE: There is no xf86-input-vmware.tcz in TC 6, it's called xf86-input-vmmouse.tcz. This most likely explains why you're not seeing a mouse :)

Of course default Openbox doesn't show much, right-click on screen to see whether menu appears.

Don't know if you still need another xf86-video-*.tcz driver for your particular hardware, not familiar with VMware.

Highly recommend reading the Core manual, linked on home page, and start with a simple setup to start.

Offline krooooo

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 05:40:58 PM »
yes, that is xf86-input-vmmouse.tcz, I type wrong

jwm.tcz \ icewm.tcz \ fluxbox.tcz \ hackedbox.tcz are all usable, I tried, but I don't like them, my desktop is Linux Mint xfce, so I feel habitual with xfce...openbox is the 2nd choose, but when I click left mouse, so many no useful menu, I feel terrible... :-[

Offline nitram

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
Maybe i misunderstood. Sounds like you now have a fully functional VMware Tiny Core install, just not your favourite desktop environment. Nothing to be sad about, there are lots of alternatives. I will test xfwm4.tcz on my system, reboot and get back to you with testing results. If there is an issue with the extension, you just need to send a PM (message) to the Tiny Core extension maintainer and request assistance. Get back to you in a few moments...

Offline nitram

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »
Couldn't get it to work either, installed xfwm4.tcz and i believe xfce4-settings or session, can't remember. System booted to the correct resolution and displayed my conky desktop, but no mouse, no click menu or anything. Maybe you need to install the entire works, there are quite a few xfce4 related extensions but i am not familiar with it and the info files do not provide any explanation. If you have adequate disk space you can give it a try, but just shooting in the dark.

The info files suggest these extensions were compiled for TC 5. The extension(s) may need to be recompiled or tweaked. The extension maintainer would know best and is a regular on the forum. Hopefully he will respond with instructions or you can always PM him regarding the issue. In the meantime take the opportunity to learn another window manager :)  Take care.