WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: xfce4 and xfwm  (Read 6478 times)

Offline krooooo

Re: xfce4 and xfwm
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
Hi nitram

Thanks a lot!

Now I'm sure the xfwm4.tcz or some of xfce4 related extensions are not work, hope the maintainer may see this topic

thanks again! You are so nice!  :)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 07:53:17 PM »

...hackedbox.tcz are all usable, I tried, but I don't like them, my desktop is Linux Mint xfce, so I feel habitual with xfce...openbox is the 2nd choose, but when I click left mouse, so many no useful menu..
Right click on the desktop to bring up a usable menu in Hackedbox, left button select will not help.

Offline nitram

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »
No problem krooooo, hopefully you eventually get the WM of your choice. I also missed this in your previous post, Openbox is nice. Fluxbox too, maybe nicer as i find it easier to configure. With default Openbox, i believe left click does nothing on the desktop, middle-click brings up workspaces menu, right-click system menu. If you run Openbox, obconf.tcz is recommended to easily set up most preferences.

Depending on your ambition, here's the xfwm4.tcz build script and source code should you want to try re-compiling for TC 6. You'll need compiletc, squashfs-tools and all dependencies first, usually the *-dev.tcz extensions. There's a section in the wiki on building extensions. I would try to recompile for you but my testing partition ran out of drive space. Take care.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/5.x/x86/tcz/src/xfwm4/

Offline nitram

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
Last guess then i'm out of here :)
xfce4-session.tcz contains a binary /usr/local/bin/startxfce4. As mentioned earlier, you may want to ensure xfwm4.tcz plus all xfce4-*.tcz extensions are installed to onboot.lst, then try running  startxfce4  instead of  startx. The extension maintainer will know best.

Offline krooooo

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 02:42:10 AM »
Hi  coreplayer2 & nitram

I type wrong twice, not left click, is right click, so many no useful menu...English is not my mother language  :-[

I will try startxfce4 later, and give the result here :)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 06:42:49 AM »
The XFCE extensions don't configure the system to use it as the default desktop (i.e.  /etc/sysconfig/desktop  is not set) and don't provide any Tiny Core related script like for building menus (applications, ondemand).
Since XFCE is a Desktop Environment and not just a Window Manager, there would probably be more work required to make it a complete DE for Tiny Core.

Also  xfce4-session.tcz , xfce4-panel.tcz  and probably others are missing  libwnck2.tcz  from the .dep list.
After  libwnck2.tcz  is added to  xfce4-panel.tcz.dep , xfce4-panel seems to be usable. You might be able to use it alongside any WM by starting it from  ~/.X.d  so you could have a fancy start menu.

XFCE's Window Manager (xfwm4) seems to be quite useless without the other XFCE tools - I'd stick with Openbox in that case.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline nitram

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
I type wrong twice, not left click, is right click, so many no useful menu...English is not my mother language  :-[

I will try startxfce4 later, and give the result here :)

Hi krooooo.

Tried  startxfce4  , doesn't work. If Misalf can't get the extension running it's broken. Either the extension maintainer is willing to fix or move to another window manager. Linux Mint is a very user friendly distribution, transitioning to Tiny Core will be a nice challenge :)  You will find many things different but it is a good system if you take the time to learn.

If you are willing to be flexible available window managers with a 'Start' menu and panel include jwm and icewm. Fluxbox has a default panel but no Start type menu. All are very configurable with lots of tutorials and styles available on the internet.

Offline krooooo

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 12:35:39 AM »
Hi

when exec startxfce4, it shown this error, see picture

I will use openbox in TC, abandon xfce4 ::)

thanks everyone