WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SSH into piCore  (Read 16477 times)

Offline phillip.toone

Re: SSH into piCore
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 04:07:16 AM »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 04:18:02 AM »
This whole Tiny Core philosophy is really different and unique.  I am guessing when I understand it all I will be a big fan.  I did my initial development for my application on Arch.  Now I need to implement a FLTK based gui for it so I am moving over to piCore.  Thanks again so much for all your help.

For sure you will like it :)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 04:21:51 AM »
I will add a man page viewer to the repo. To be honest personally I do not find man pages really useful. For info better to use Internet. Also man pages are generic and not TC specific.

Packeges .info file you can read either with tce command in CLI or with Apps in GUI.
Béla

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 04:39:45 AM »
In need man pages can be read with 'less', just that the formating doesn't look particularly nice...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline phillip.toone

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 04:46:03 AM »
One more question that has been driving me nuts.  Sometimes when I reboot from the gui the system starts without FLM.  I try to start this with startx but that doesn't work.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 05:12:18 AM »
One more question that has been driving me nuts.  Sometimes when I reboot from the gui the system starts without FLM.  I try to start this with startx but that doesn't work.

Is it the 3.2.27 or the 3.6-11-piCore kernel version? When it happenes do you have a CLI version aka Core or a corrupted GUI?
Béla

Offline phillip.toone

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »
Is it the 3.2.27 or the 3.6-11-piCore kernel version? When it happenes do you have a CLI version aka Core or a corrupted GUI?

I am using piCore-X-20130331.  I'm not sure how to answer your second question so I will just explain what happens.  I rest the system by removing the directory /mnt/mmcblk0p1/ and all of its contents.  I reboot with "sudo reboot now" and see:

Booting Core 4.7.5
Running Linux Kernel 3.6.11-piCore

Then the xsession starts with flwm.  If I use either "shutdown" or "reboot" from the GUI exit options I return to the GUI when the system is restarted.  If I choose "Exit to Prompt" I can restart the GUI with startx.  I can also reboot back into the GUI with "sudo reboot now".  But if I use the Apps program to set my tce directory for persistence I am booted into the command line terminal when I restart the system.  From here startx give me:

-sh: startx: not found

I actually prefer to do most things in the command line so this is not so much of a problem for me.  The problem is that when I use "sudo reboot now" things do not remain persistent (except for the installed extensions).  I would also like to start the GUI if I do need it.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:47:16 AM by phillip.toone »

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »
Hi i Think you nede to backup your changes before you reboot,

Do a Sudo filetools.sh -b

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »
I rest the system by removing the directory /mnt/mmcblk0p1/ and all of its contents.

Huh?   ::)
Define:"rest"
As in "Rest In Peace"??  :o
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline phillip.toone

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »

I think you know that I meant to say reset.  The spell checker doesn't catch those kind of typos and it is easy for me to read what I meant rather than that I typed.  Thanks for all your help.  I have been working on this all day, trying not to ask to many dumb questions. =)  I almost started a new thread but I think I figured out my problem and on to the next one.  I still can't get x to start after I reboot with persistence established.

Offline phillip.toone

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
I did run into this error when trying to use git:

git: error while loading shared libraries: libiconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I was able to fix this by installing libiconv.tcz with tce.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »

I think you know that I meant to say reset.  The spell checker doesn't catch those kind of typos and it is easy for me to read what I meant rather than that I typed.

1. You think wrong.
This is a technical forum, mindreading is not a requirement.
If a typo happens to result in a word different than intended, then it is bound to be misinterpreted rather than to be recognized as typo.

2. You now having clarified that you mean 'reset', the term is still not well defined in context. What exactly would be the scope of such a 'reset'?

3. There was a reason for the wording of my association word game ("Rest In Peace"??):
Removing a mountpoint dir of a mounted device and all of its contents could potentially lead to all kind of irregularities, I could think of potential data corruption and general system instability - I have doubts one could even find documentation regarding such.
In consequence, any issues you have after such would be difficult to impossible to troubleshoot.
Please prefer always to use 'umount' in a safe manner.

Offline phillip.toone

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
1. You think wrong.
This is a technical forum, mindreading is not a requirement.
If a typo happens to result in a word different than intended, then it is bound to be misinterpreted rather than to be recognized as typo.

Sorry tinypoodle, I did not realize my typo until you pointed it out.  And I really did think you knew what I meant.

2. You now having clarified that you mean 'reset', the term is still not well defined in context. What exactly would be the scope of such a 'reset'?

I can see how confusing this is now.  Sorry again.

3. There was a reason for the wording of my association word game ("Rest In Peace"??):
Removing a mountpoint dir of a mounted device and all of its contents could potentially lead to all kind of irregularities, I could think of potential data corruption and general system instability - I have doubts one could even find documentation regarding such.
In consequence, any issues you have after such would be difficult to impossible to troubleshoot.
Please prefer always to use 'umount' in a safe manner.

I have fixed a lot of problems I was having by fixing the location of the tce folder as recommended by bmarkus here.