WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: try compiling  (Read 6956 times)

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
try compiling
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »
i see people not compiling for tiny core linux and claiming a lack of ability without even trying.

my first successful compile under linux was with tiny core.  i have extensions for download now.

just go for it.  don't hesitate to ask for help on this forum.  i have asked and received.
Curaga:
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

So true!  Even compiling Apache for Tiny Core Linux, once I got over the idea it would be hard, it was almost too easy.
what can go wrong in cloud mode.  a simple reboot and your system has returned to its pristine state and all mistakes have disappeared.

edit: there may well exist imperfections in a submission, but that is why it is called 'testing'.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:12:13 PM by softwaregurl »
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: try compiling
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:35:46 AM »
well said - and when you go back to a standard distro after dsl/tc you can easily make a big mess  :)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »
It isn't completely fool proof....I've somehow managed to wipe out sections of my harddrive at least once.....

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
serenity now...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »
sorry, this thread just kind of made me explode.

i have promptly removed my reply before its vivid color offends.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:31:21 PM by tobiaus »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:24:19 AM »
If you say you can't post a reply to this thread, why are your thoughts being posted elsewhere (via your signature)...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:01:55 AM »
If you say you can't post a reply to this thread, why are your thoughts being posted elsewhere (via your signature)...

actually what i said was i did reply, and it was far too colorful, and i promptly removed it. but i was still adding to it, because of this thread and another thread with similar implications. some of that went into the signature, but i didn't remove the signature because what's there should not offend anyone.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 03:16:55 AM »
I don't think this thread is at all meant to be offensive.  Rather, I think it is simply an encouraging statement of "If I can, so can you". 

I won't bore anyone with my life story, but given my non-technological background and the fact that I was in my 30's before I owned a PC or had any desire to do so, I think that if I can learn this Linux and compiling stuff I am sure anyone here can.  And, as mentioned, TC is an ideal distro to compile on as a reboot can cure most any mistake (at least in non-PPI mode).   

If there is something wrong with a submitted extension created by the basic extension guidelines, the worst that can happen is corrective advice given in the extension mail thread or in the forum.  I think TC provides the best environment to get involved with building and maintaining packages.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »

actually what i said was i did reply, and it was far too colorful, and i promptly removed it. but i was still adding to it, because of this thread and another thread with similar implications. some of that went into the signature, but i didn't remove the signature because what's there should not offend anyone.

I'd have to strongly disagree with both your premise as well as the signature itself. It's also offensive to quote somebody else out of context, and then put it into your own signature (so it gets reposted everywhere). 

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
I'd have to strongly disagree with both your premise as well as the signature itself.

well you're entitled to disagree. i (really) don't suppose you're also one of those people that thinks that laziness is the only reason poverty and homeless exist, but it's the same kind of logic that makes people think anyone can compile in linux if they put enough work into it.

i've spent a ridiculous amount of time learning. it's hard work and i try more every day. and when i read the discussions about compiling, i realize that it would take twice of everything i know about linux- AT LEAST, to compile anything useful in tc. i know because UNLIKE YOU i know how much hard work i've put in, and i know how close to nothing i have to show for it. i would have to devote all of my computing time to learn to learn compiling, and i would probably shoot this damned computer with all the frustration.

so i strongly disagree with your disagreement. but hey you're entitled, no matter how glib your perspective may be. sometimes people just understand these complexites better. and sometimes, not all of us do. SORRY. but if i put in 10, 100 times the amount of work you did, i could probably figure it out too. eventually. but i'd really hate it. i do less and hate that already.

It's also offensive to quote somebody else out of context, and then put it into your own signature (so it gets reposted everywhere). 

i have not quoted you in my sig. i have not quoted softwaregurl either, but if she's offended she can tell me here or in pm.

i have not as you said, quoted anyone in my sig, and i have not removed any context. what's in my sig are MY OWN thoughts, and they're not new, rather i have new reason to express them- due to this thread and another.

the only point is perhaps softwaregurl was being overzealous, not realizing how difficult what she proposes is for some people. you're entitled to disagree, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about- simply because you've never BEEN anyone OTHER than you.

thank you very much!

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »

i have not as you said, quoted anyone in my sig, and i have not removed any context. what's in my sig are MY OWN thoughts, and they're not new, rather i have new reason to express them- due to this thread and another.

"if a task as elementary and straightforward as installing tce packages from the command line is for "experts" as robert says,..."

Robert would be the last person to think that even a novice couldn't read 10 lines of instructions to do a simple compile, and has taken great pains to post instructions for doing so that almost anyone can easily follow. I recall the post you are referring to, and I think it was in the context of helping a newby get all the correct deps by using the appsbrowser.  Robert has expressed many times that he takes great pains to make the distro as simple as possible.    If I can do it, anybody can do it.   

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »
If I can do it, anybody can do it.   

---- you, you smug, insulting piece of crap. i've tried compiling again and again. 10 simple commands my ---. you have no ---- clue.

would someone please honor my deletion request now? THANKS!

-----Edited for profanity by Jason W.-------
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:43:39 PM by Jason W »

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:17:57 PM »
i was composing this before reading the last few posts.  as is without further edit.
Tiny Core Linux is a diverse group of very stubborn people working towards a common goal.  This is what makes Tiny Core what it is and is not.
Coding and compiling are not every ones best talent, but Tiny Core being what it is and is not it is important to have a fundamental understanding of the concepts. 
Does one not feel just a bit better about themselves after a success?  And that much more if it was difficult to achieve?
That said, start off easy.  I got my confidence up by contributing to curaga's watcher and compiling it with a step by step how to.  Ok, I did that.  Now on to something harder that I have use for.  And believe me, I have failed many times but the successes outweigh the failures (at least to me).  I have some more to learn before the next apache2 submission.  Learning may be my biggest addiction and greatest strength as well as worst weakness.
Maybe this help explain the intent of my post.
I take no offense what so ever to any of the posts here.  I am learning your personalities, strengths and weaknesses.  Life is a learning experience.  (perhaps tobias could figure out who i misquoted.)
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline kerpob

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 01:08:54 PM »

---- you, you smug, insulting piece of crap. i've tried compiling again and again. 10 simple commands my ----. you have no ---- clue.

They should call it "type make and then type make install" because that is all "compiling" is. It really is that simple. If it doesn't work then move on, but it usually does. You'd think after 600 posts you'd have picked up more about linux than how to get into pointless flame wars.

----quoted profanity edited by Jason W---
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:49:07 PM by Jason W »
eee user. From Xandros to Debian via Breeezy to TCL.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 06:29:58 PM »

---- you, you smug, insulting piece of crap. i've tried compiling again and again. 10 simple commands my ---. you have no ---- clue.

would someone please honor my deletion request now? THANKS!

-----Edited for profanity by Jason W.-------

:D    BTW, thanks for removing the signature.....   I lost several  nights of sleep trying to get  gnumeric working,
and years trying to play the piano.  I'm certainly no guru, but what made you think that our crew of developers haven't paid their dues, or it would be any different for you?

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »
While I can't justify the negative words from tobiaus, I can easily agree with him that compiling software isn't always just a matter of "configure, make, make install" .  There is frequently a problem with incompatible libraries, hardware that simply doesn't work with linux, and applications that are written to use some obscure language that requires tools that are not available in TC.  Yes i think Tobiaus got excessively angry, but I also think some of you are making molehills out of mountains.