WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: automatically booting into tinycore  (Read 1263 times)

Offline dessos

automatically booting into tinycore
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »
I installed tinycore on a system that already had Windows XP installed on it. I used the tc-install program and choose the option to have tinycore written in the same partition as Windows and the bootable option. When I restarted I thought there would be a boot menu to choose between booting into Windows and tinycore but it booted straight into tinycore. I thought I had accidentally deleted Windows and all its data and sort of panicked, but then I used TestDisk to look at the partitions and it shows that Windows and all its files and important data are still there and weren't deleted at all (and I can't find where in there it put tinycore). How do I get Windows to boot again?

edit: 
I just tried restarting and the bootloader said it couldn't find a valid file system. (I'm writing this from my livecd.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:29:50 AM by dessos »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: automatically booting into tinycore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »
Hi dessos
First, let's try to get your machine to boot XP again. Unless someone has a better suggestion,
Boot the Tinycore CD
Plug in a USB thumbdrive
Click on the  Mount  icon and mount the thumb drive
Open a terminal and enter:
Code: [Select]
dd if=/dev/sda of=xpmbr.bin bs=512 count=1Copy the file  xpmbr.bin  to the thumb drive as a backup for now.
Click on the  Apps  icon and install  ms-sys.tcz  and  gparted.tcz
In the terminal, enter:
Code: [Select]
ms-sys -m /dev/sdaThis assumes that  sda  is your windows drive, please verify first.
Now click on the  gparted  icon and verify that the Windows partition boot flag is set
Assuming I haven't made any errors, that should restore the MBR and allow Windows to boot again. You may want
to wait before trying this to see if any other forum members can offer any comments.

Offline dessos

Re: automatically booting into tinycore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
I found a Windows repair disc and just reinstalled. Sorry for wasting your time.