WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: bkg bootcode still supported?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline sodface

bkg bootcode still supported?
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:49:20 PM »
Trying to use the bkg= boot code and it's not working.  I specify the filename as in bkg=my_image.jpg and ensure that my_image.jpg is in /opt/backgrounds but I still get the stock background on boot.   After boot I can change the background to my_image.jpg via the control panel and it is there in /opt/backgrounds.  Dmesg shows the bkg=my_image.jpg kernel parameter.  Do I misunderstand the usage of bkg?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: bkg bootcode still supported?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »
Hi sodface
As near as I can tell, that boot code appears to have been removed. In TC3.4 the  tc-config  script checked for it, in
TC4.1 it is no longer listed in that script. You could try modifying the  .xsession  script in your home directory.
Replace the  ./.setbackground  line with:
Code: [Select]
setbackground full /opt/backgrounds/my_image.jpg

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »
See http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,9290.msg50729.html#msg50729

To have a persistent background, use the control panel to set your background, make sure opt/backgrounds is in .filetool.lsi, and do a backup. 

Offline sodface

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies ixbrian and Rich.  I am evaluating xendesktop and experimenting with using tc as a thin os to host the citrix receiver.  I am pxe booting grub4dos and then booting tc via tftp.  Using multiple initrd's (initramfs?) In lieu of remastering seemed like an elegant solution for customizing the stock tc.  It seems to work well in the limited testing I've done.  The bkg boot code seemed like an easy way to handle the wallpaper mod as I am using grub4dos anyway and could append it to the kernel line in the menu entry.   I will figure out something else - still trying to understand the mechanics of tc.