WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: upgrade to 4.7 - sda partition already mounted  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Mildly_odd

upgrade to 4.7 - sda partition already mounted
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
Hi
I am trying to update from TinyCore 4.5 to 4.7. I have burned a 4.7 ISO CD and re-downloaded tc-install from the App Browser. When I boot from the CD and run tc-install in Frugal to sda1 (the only hard disk, no partition) install I see the error message
"sda appears to have a partition already mounted! Check if correct device, if so unmount it and then run installer again".

However the mount tool won't allow me to unmount the only hard disk. I have tried other combinations of inputs (e.g. whole disk/existing partition or ext4/"no formatting") though without any change. I haven't yet found any further inspiration in the forum or wiki.

At this stage I have no extensions or data that I'm worried about losing and so I would happily scrub the lot and start again, if only it would let me.

If you have any thoughts, suitable for a newcomer to both TinyCore and Linux, I'd be pleased to hear them.
Thank you
Duncan

Offline coreplayer2

Re: upgrade to 4.7 - sda partition already mounted
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
I find the easiest way to update is boot to your old frugal install, mount the new downloaded ISO or already burned CD,

Assuming you have a file manager (if not then install one, like fluff or mc)

copy the new core.gz and vmlinuz to the respective boot directory on your frugal install disk overwriting the original files
copy all files from the cde/optional directory to the respective frugal install directory overwriting the original files

reboot to your frugal install
run apps - update deps,  then check for updates

reboot

re-create OnDemand list and Wbar config

reboot

done (I don't believe I forgot any step)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:01:32 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »
Use boot code "base" to prevent mounting or allow umounting.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Mildly_odd

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:16:07 AM »
Hi
Many thanks for the prompt replies, I will give it a whirl.